• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Setting Up a 2-Sttoke for Direct Drive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarJar

Setting Up a 2-Stroke for Direct Drive

This thread is dedicated to the memory of Mark Stull. May he rest in peace with a new set of wings.------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark's documentation of DD 2-sroke operation cáught a lot of us by surprise. Especially his experience of his DD setup, which he said performed as well as the reduction unit he had been using.
The experiment ended when his MZ-201 engine with about 400 hours of DD use failed due to a rod bearing. (He made a forced landing which he walked away from, but the airplane was badly dammaged.)

Having said, that I wanted to explore the concept a bit more with maybe some further possibilities.
All insights and comments are welcome.

After reading some material suggested by another member (we know who you are) I got the impression than one further thing that could be done, is to re-port the engine for lower rpm with high temperature epoxy.

Also using a carb with a smaller flow to get more mixure accuracy and response in this lower RPM range.

I'll start there and see if anyone has any opinions on this, or more ideas, be they supportive, conflicting or in totally different direction.

Last edited:
Back