Senate Takes Up Legislation To Hold 5G Network Builder Accountable

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
The unfortunate truth is that the current bill really going to do any good if passed. We can be sure that Ligado does not now, and will never have enough legally 'reachable' resources to compensate 1% of the parties adversely affected.

And Rhino is correct; this has nothing to do with 5G as a technology. I'm connected to the interwebs right now via a 5G home internet connection that operates in the 600MHz band. No risk to GPS at all; it's in the same range as the old now-defunct analog TV stations. GPS is at ~1.2GHz & ~1.6GHz. The 'internet of things' 5G bands everyone's so excited about is up from ~24GHz to ~50 GHz; again far away from GPS. The whole issue is the particular frequency band that the FCC gave to Ligado, over the objections of the military and every other stake holder.

dog

The unfortunate truth is that the current bill really going to do any good if passed. We can be sure that Ligado does not now, and will never have enough legally 'reachable' resources to compensate 1% of the parties adversely affected.

And Rhino is correct; this has nothing to do with 5G as a technology. I'm connected to the interwebs right now via a 5G home internet connection that operates in the 600MHz band. No risk to GPS at all; it's in the same range as the old now-defunct analog TV stations. GPS is at ~1.2GHz & ~1.6GHz. The 'internet of things' 5G bands everyone's so excited about is up from ~24GHz to ~50 GHz; again far away from GPS. The whole issue is the particular frequency band that the FCC gave to Ligado, over the objections of the military and every other stake holder.
Right gotcha.
Minor turf squable at the edge.
And realy just another example of industrys
capture of a regulatory agency.
In Canada we have the radio nerds figure everything out and then the Feds auction off spectrum to the highest bidder.
And in the case of cell frequencys the feds can
shut any or all of it down if they want to.

oldguyflier

HBA Supporter
Except they didn't. Either 'have to' or actually agree. You'd apparently be surprised how little power individual agencies have over other agencies within government. For instance, do you think the FAA can stop a tower (or tall building) from being built near an active airport runway? Think again.
They did here in San Diego! Made the developer take off 1 1/2 stories after building it close to Montgomery Field. They had kept building because local government said they would support it.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
They did here in San Diego! Made the developer take off 1 1/2 stories after building it close to Montgomery Field. They had kept building because local government said they would support it.
But that's not a federal government agency exerting power over another federal government agency. That's what rv7charlie was saying. The thing in San Diego was a matter of ordering the building height be lowered after numerous agencies, including the FAA, said the existing height violated federal restrictions, and after a lawsuit was filed by AOPA. Although the local planning agency issued a permit allowing the wrong building height, there was no disagreement among government agencies over the legality of that height, and the contractor was repeatedly warned about this, both before and during construction. The contractor's position was that he was leglly allowed to build to that height because he had a building permit for it, but that isn't true. An erroneous building permit does not give you the right to violate the law. I've experienced that personally when I was issued an erroneous building permit, and later had to rectify the problem at my own expense. So although the mayor in San Diego originally supported the contractor, that didn't make it legal, and there was no fighting among government agencies, certainly not at the federal level. That same mayor was also the one who eventually ordered the building height be decreased to comply with FAA regulations.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
The controversy here isn't 5G by the way. The limitations and dangers have nothing to do with 5G. The media just uses 5G as a convenient moniker. The problem is the portion of the L band Ligado plans to use on their satellites to build their 5G network. It's very close to the frequencies used by GPS satellites, it's higher power, and it's fairly common to see bleed over on closely adjacent frequencies. Many GPS receivers on earth could easily be overwhelmed by a higher power signal on such a close frequency. Very few GPS receivers are hardened against such a possibility, which is why concerns have been raised about GPS jamming by adversaries in a military conflict. But this frequency band isn't required for 5G, so the implementation of 5G isn't the issue. Many companies like Verizon and AT&T are rolling out 5G on other frequencies that aren't a danger to GPS.
Right, this isn't the tinfoil hat crowd worrying about big bad 5G invading our precious bodily fluids, it's a legitmate issue with interference on GPS frequencies critical to public safety... approved by bureaucrats who didn't understand the implications of what they were approving.

GeeZee

HBA Supporter
Well the “tinfoil hat crowd“ has successfully sued the FCC to force them to look at multiple studies that show harm from electromagnetic radiation. Apparently the FCC’s position is that if it ain’t burning your skin it ain’t harmful ;)
I have to say I've worked around all those frequency except the 50 gig stuff my entire adult life and so far haven’t seen any adverse effects, well except that extra thumb on my back, but actually it comes in kinda handy at times….

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
There are apparently two different issues related to the generic '5G' label. The issue with Ligado is that the FCC gave them access to a frequency band that's just under the frequency band for GPS signals (~1GHz to 1.6 GHz), and allows ground based (as in really close to you in a car or airplane) transmission levels FAR stronger than the GPS transmission levels, which are very low power and coming to you from about 11,000 miles away. The problem is that even the harmonics (basically distortion) off the Ligado towers have the potential to swamp the GPS signals, making them unusable.

The ATT/Verizon stuff is at a much higher frequency and apparently much closer to radar altimeter frequencies (~4.2-4.4GHz).

R90s

HBA Supporter
There are apparently two different issues related to the generic '5G' label. The issue with Ligado is that the FCC gave them access to a frequency band that's just under the frequency band for GPS signals (~1GHz to 1.6 GHz), and allows ground based (as in really close to you in a car or airplane) transmission levels FAR stronger than the GPS transmission levels, which are very low power and coming to you from about 11,000 miles away. The problem is that even the harmonics (basically distortion) off the Ligado towers have the potential to swamp the GPS signals, making them unusable.

The ATT/Verizon stuff is at a much higher frequency and apparently much closer to radar altimeter frequencies (~4.2-4.4GHz).
Once again an HBA contributor provides a concise, well written & correct explanation of a technical issue. In the words of Darth Vader:
“Impressive,
Most Impressive”

Bill-Higdon

Interesting note on of AT&T's first 5G cell sitesin Salem is at 1940 Turner RD SE Salem, OR 97302 if you look at it on Google Maps or similar, it's right across the road from KSLE

Fiberglassworker

But that's not a federal government agency exerting power over another federal government agency. That's what rv7charlie was saying. The thing in San Diego was a matter of ordering the building height be lowered after numerous agencies, including the FAA, said the existing height violated federal restrictions, and after a lawsuit was filed by AOPA. Although the local planning agency issued a permit allowing the wrong building height, there was no disagreement among government agencies over the legality of that height, and the contractor was repeatedly warned about this, both before and during construction. The contractor's position was that he was leglly allowed to build to that height because he had a building permit for it, but that isn't true. An erroneous building permit does not give you the right to violate the law. I've experienced that personally when I was issued an erroneous building permit, and later had to rectify the problem at my own expense. So although the mayor in San Diego originally supported the contractor, that didn't make it legal, and there was no fighting among government agencies, certainly not at the federal level. That same mayor was also the one who eventually ordered the building height be decreased to comply with FAA regulations.
I was working for the contractor who did the outside cladding on that building. before we started cutting the cladding, I pointed out to my boss the height issue, the FAAs comments, and the AOPAs law suit. My boss contacted the builder who told the company," Go ahead and build it as drawn, if we lose, we will pay you to take it down.", so we built all of the cladding, then sure enough when the builder, lost we got to remove the top 3 stories modify the cladding then install new cladding. The same builder was also shot down on a 280foot hotel to be built at the east end of Harbour Island that intruded into the navies IFR approach path to North Island Naval Air station. The aviation communities need to be the lookout for builders who work on the principle that it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.