• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Self-designed Carbon U/L

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mstull

R.I.P.
I was encouraged to start a new thread, to introduce y'all to my self-designed, scratch built, carbon, legal U/L. Here's some specs:
Dry weight: 229#, including the BRS chute
Maximum gross weight: 460#
Engine: CorsAir M25Y, recoil start, with float/slide carb, about 21Hp tuned for silent running.
Prop: PowerFin E-2, 50"
Cruise: 40 to 55 mph. I usually cruise at 50 mph
Fuel consumption: 1.2 gph
Vne: 70 mph
Stall speed: 27 mph
Controls: 3 axis. Right stick controls ailerons and stabilator. Left stick controls throttle and rudders. Foot controled nose wheel steering.
Design loads: +5 and -2 Gs This plane has been looped.
Rate of climb: 300 to 400 fpm (in standard conditions) depending on engine tuning.
Maximum crosswind component: 15 mph.
Covering: Stitts Poly Fiber, fully silvered.
Main Gear: Swing arm, with bungee shock absorbers.
Fuel capacity: 4.7 gal
Construction materials: Mostly carbon fiber, some 2024 aluminum, very little wood and 4130 steel.
Control surfaces: Fully counterballanced rudders and stabilator. Dropped ailerons. Dual vertical stabilizers and rudders.
Wing construction: Single, tubular, carbon spar. Carbon/styrofoam sandwich ribs. Carbon leading edge. Carbon reinforced, aluminum trailing edge.

I have about 700 landings on my Mantis so far. I fly about 4 hours a week. The plane is super easy to fly and land.

Attachments

• 15.gif
    15.gif
    80.7 KB · Views: 2,040
Back