• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Seeking vintage VW conversion plans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhatakka

Hello to all! Newbie homebuilder from Finland calling for help.

I have recently purchased a 40-year old Taylor Monoplane J.T.1, which I am slowly restoring to a flyable aeroplane. The engine is a typical VW conversion, 45 hp or so, 1500 cc displacement. The original build documents, which came with the aeroplane, state that the engine conversion has been done according to the instructions and plans from "Ted Barker" and "BAC". I searched for those two for a while from internet, and came in the conclusion that Ted Barker plans refers to "Volkswagen Conversion Manual" or "VW Conversion Plans" written by Ted Barker and sold by the Ted Barker Experimental Engines, California, and the "BAC" refers to Broadley Aero Concepts (http://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/HOAE/VW.html), which has sold their version of the VW conversion plans also. Both have published classified ads in magazines as Sport Aviation, Popular Mechanics and so on in 1960's and 1970's (see pictures below).

My question is: Does anybody out there happen to have one or both of these conversion plans available? It would be nice to know how my engine has been originally converted from a factory-new industrial engine to a reliable aircraft powerplant. What modifications has been made, what parts has been used, and so on.

All information is useful. Thank you!

Best regards,
Markus

Ted_Barker_AD.PNG Ted_Barker_AD_2.PNG

Back