Seawind 3000 Safety issues

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Cardmarc

I doubt this reflects directly on the aircraft (more the pilot), but what a series of accidents and incidents for one Seawind airframe.

Really a testament to the airframe durability in crashes, say me! Bring that sucker up off the bottom of the lake!

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
How many hours in a Buccaneer renegade or Seabee etc.?

Not that I question the validity of your float experience, frankly I’m more than a little jealous of it. I just would like to know about the experience balance that drives your opinions.

Last edited:

231TC

Really a testament to the airframe durability in crashes, say me! Bring that sucker up off the bottom of the lake!
I've been dreaming about doing just that. I live near where it went down and I keep finding myself drawn to that location. Flown over several times, even landed on the water there one calm morning, and sailed over it a couple times. Not a chance of seeing anything 300 feet deep, but I keep looking anyway. Would be pretty simple to find and retrieve with sonar and an ROV. I believe the marine salvage laws say you have to give the owner a chance to redeem it from you and cover your costs, but if they don't it's yours. Would be a fun project...or maybe a nightmare.

I don't really trust myself to fly a Seawind though. They've killed at least a couple better pilots than me. Considered buying one years ago but I was persuaded that it was a bad idea.