search for original hanglider plans

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Goflybefree

This book has a lot of drawings and photos that detail the construction of many of the early hang gliders. Not plans but interesting none the less.

IMG_1386.JPG

BJC

HBA Supporter
That looks like a Wills Wing SST. (Someone please correct that if It is something else.)

Dr. Chris Wills remains very active in experimental aviation, and currently flies a Glasair Aviation Sportsman 2+2, and an electric powered trike. He is, however, getting out of the hang glider business. The Future of Wills Wing - Wills Wing

BJC

Aesquire

Yep. Super Swallow Tail. They used that name for a long series, ending iirc, with the SST 110G tandem glider. I flew one at Ellenville NY on a near dead calm day and was the only one able to soar, 265 Sq. Ft. & over 100 feet of cables.

Bummer about Wills Wing.

I wouldn't fly a standard Rogallo without a kingpost, either. No way to set reflex in keel.

cgifly2

I think an SST is about as old of a kite that I would fly. That’s the era I started flying, and a friend of mine had one while I flew a later model WW SS1. I always was able to out fly him. Later though I started working for Bill Bennet building/flying/ and shipping kites all around the world. Lazor’s, 6D’s Mariah’s 6c’s man there where so many, his designer Dick Boone rolled out a new kite every week it seemed. He had some duds but most of his stuff was real high performance for the time.

Aesquire

I'm still looking for my planset for the Flexi-Flyer.

There was an attempt to run a Standard Class, in competition, that petered out quickly as the technology improved.

Nearly Every company built kites to spec at least for testing. Eipper-Formance saw there wasn't much difference between brands, and the rules of course, intended that. So, Eipper ( not sure the design team ) took the rules and deliberately broke the dimensional limits, and that was the Flexi II. Roughly performance equivalent to the first couple of generations of SSTs.

I'd prefer better performance and pitch excursion control, but I agree the SST is a reasonable minimum. I put a lot of hours on my Flexi II.

Bille Floyd

I started working for Bill Bennet building/flying/ and shipping kites all around the world.
He ran Torry Pines glider port, in the late 80's ; really "Liked"
that man !!

In 1978, i got 4'th in the So Cal regionals ; the Bill Bennet team
wanted me to join them , but i turned them down, because i had
gotten my place for the nationals, on/with a different glider manufacturer.
I should have jumped ship, and joined Bennet ; he was an awesome
guy to work for , (hard-core, but fair) !! It's too bad, he and Moyes
never made peace.

I learned to soar HG, on a Phoenix 6B ; back in 1977. Still addicted ; heading
to CSS to fly my Atos, the middle of July . :)

Bille

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Bille, if you were around back in the day, you probably flew in contests or meets with my friend Trip Mellinger. I never knew Trip during the hang glider days, but I flew sailplanes with him several times. I can always remember hearing him on the radio in one desert contest, he was trying to get out of some little canyon he had dove into and almost didn't get out... "Oh crap... pucker factor!!!... OK that was an E-ticket!"

Bille Floyd

Bille, if you were around back in the day, you probably flew in contests or meets with my friend Trip Mellinger.
In July of 1976, Gene Blythe and Trip Mellinger set unofficial world records for distance and altitude after a series of flights from the southernmost launch on the Inyos, Cerro Gordo . When champion sailplane pilot George Worthington learned of this, he became intrigued with the idea of capturing all the official records for hang gliding newly recognized by the FAI. The following summer, he did just that...

Only remember the name, because i drove for George Worthington in the Owens
on a few of his record attempts, and he mentioned Trip Mellinger, on more than
one occasion.

Bille

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Trip told me a couple of those stories many years ago.

Great article by Rick Masters. I know several of those mountains on a first name basis, up close and personal. The intersection of Silver Canyon Road out of Bishop and the straight dirt road on top of the Whites leading to the Barcroft Navy laboratory was my photo turnpoint for a speed record flight, 37 years ago this Sunday. Holy s**t...

The remains of that big volcanic cone he mentions, several miles northwest of Montgomery Pass, is also a dear old friend of mine with lots of lift. I love her, and she's been good to me, but she still always tried to kill me every time I showed up for a visit. Diving into that bowl, staring at the individual lava rocks that have never been walked on by humans, waiting for that big nuclear kick in the butt, is something any soaring pilot will remember for their life.

Sorry for the off-topic rant. Time travel is more fun than drugs ever were.

Goflybefree

In July of 1976, Gene Blythe and Trip Mellinger set unofficial world records for distance and altitude after a series of flights from the southernmost launch on the Inyos, Cerro Gordo . When champion sailplane pilot George Worthington learned of this, he became intrigued with the idea of capturing all the official records for hang gliding newly recognized by the FAI. The following summer, he did just that...
US Hawks Hang Gliding Association • View topic - 1981
Great stories, thanks for the link.
I don't supposd anyone has any links to stories on George Worthington's record breaking flights, especially those in the Mitchell Wing ?

wuffos

That’s definitely a SST
Actually, it's definitely Not an SST - as it has a keel pocket, which the SST did not. The glider is very similar to the Moyes Midi, but I think it's probably of British manufacture. My 2 cents.☺

speedracer

Great stories, thanks for the link.
I don't supposd anyone has any links to stories on George Worthington's record breaking flights, especially those in the Mitchell Wing ?
George Worthington (RIP - killed in an ultralight accident) wrote a book - In Search of World Records and I have a copy. At one time he held ALL of the hang gliding world distance records, flex wing and fixed wing.

Highflight

Good to see there are a lot of veteran "Golden Age" hang glider pilot still about. I agree with the others that say avoid flying a standard Rogallo kite, why tempt fate when there are so many previously owned newer generation gliders available. I really doubt that "modern materials" would improve the performance of a standard kite, it would be waste of time and money. If you absolutely feel the need to build a vintage glider look to Bob Lovejoy's Quicksilver.