• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Seaplane vs land plane speed difference

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holden

Question/poll to all potential seaplane/amphib pilots and wannabees.

If you had a land plane that can cruise at 180 mph on 180 hp, (RV-6 for example), what maximum cruise speed loss would accept to get the seaplane performance?

Most seaplanes cruise around 70-80% of a landplane on the same HP. I have found that most people will not opt for a seaplane if the loss in comparable speed (same useful load, hp etc,) is more than 10% of that of a land plane. In this case (180 mph) few would go with a seaplane if it flew slower than 160-165 mph. For example, an RV-6 on floats flys around 145 mph (20% loos) from what I understand. Most pilots will not opt for such a large loss in speed, not to mention the loss of useful load.

I believe that pilots will opt for a seaplane with all else equal, only if the cruise speed is at least 90-95% of a comparable land plane of equal useful load, places, stol etc.

The costs cannot be greater than 10% over the land plane also. Most float equipment adds 20-40% more to the price and then the insurance goes crazy, leaving most pilots to opt out of seaplanes.

Many car drivers will opt for 4 wheel drive if the cost is within 10% of a 2 wheel car. I would suspect this parallel analogy applies to seaplanes.

What say you?

5%, 10%, 15%, 20% more costs.

175 MPh?
170?
165?
160?
155?
150?
145?
135?
130?
125?

Please reply to the poll with a speed and cost increase limit...or some insights you may have. I realize that making a seaplane fly 90%+ of a landplane is difficult, but that is not the question. I believe the 10% standard must be met before seaplanes are commercially viable.

Holden

Back