Sealants / Protectants for Polished Aluminum Aircraft

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bigshu

Maybe consider Ceramic Coatings? There are some industrial ceramic products made for application to metal surfaces. These coatings need little maintenance. Some types can be reapplied to restore the full protection. Should give you the gloss and shine you want along with protection from dust, rain spots, oxidation etc. I am more familiar with the auto ceramics but the industrial types might be the ticket. Here is one I found online.
Cool looking stuff, but how do you apply it to an aircraft? It sounds like an immersion bath with a charge applied. Not available in a spray on...Just curious, is powder coating really heavy? I know it's durable, and you can get it in gloss clear.

PagoBay

Cool looking stuff, but how do you apply it to an aircraft? It sounds like an immersion bath with a charge applied. Not available in a spray on...Just curious, is powder coating really heavy? I know it's durable, and you can get it in gloss clear.
Correct. This link was only for an example to show coating of raw aluminum. Based on a bit of more searching, some auto ceramics are suitable for unpainted polished aluminum wheels. Maybe should have given this link instead.

proppastie

Log Member
just did 1/2 the Mooney .....today ..... just the red on top and sides as it was beginning to turn pink.....I went with Miguiare's

All of their stuff is supposed to be safe for aircraft....the Turtle Wax ceramic had a PH of 4 and the Miguiare had a PH of 8-8.5.....Rain water here is PH 5

It is a little difficult as too much or wrong technique and you end up with streaks....plus learning to use the borrowed Horror Freight random buffer and fleece bonnet and foam buffing wheel....I hit it with some cleaning compound....washed off with dish soap and water, while still wet spray on ...wipe off, and buff when dry.....looks good for now.....best to polish as much as possible with cleaning compound, the stuff I used smelled like it was napha and talc. I also had some 3m 06068....