Sealants / Protectants for Polished Aluminum Aircraft

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Jsample40

I have been polishing the all aluminum exterior of my Mitchell Wing A-10 to a high luster to improve the aesthetic appearance, only to see it return to oxidation following one rain shower. What is the most effective and cost effective sealant / protectant available to maintain the beautiful " just polished" mirror finish over time?

I am hesitant to employ any type of clear coat application which can flake off over time, creating a difficult challenge in blending in a "redo" where necessary. I have seen numerous "silver beauties" which seem to stand the test of time and need to explore the various options to protect my own aircraft immediately.

Jay Sample

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Polished every 6 months and kept in a heated and AC hanger covered with old bed sheets.999.jpg

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
With the polished Sonex I previously owned I used Nuvite products. It was 6061-T6.

I learned the reality of the lesson taught to me when a friend said "everyone should own a polished airplane ... once!" ;)
Very true. I also used Nuvite
I was so dumb I did it twice. My C-172 and my daughter's C-140. Three times counting the prop. DSCF0009.JPG

Last edited:

Jsample40

Jsample40

bea
Polished every 6 months and kept in a heated and AC hanger covered with old bed sheets.View attachment 116589
Beautiful aircraft, Pops....
Jay
With the polished Sonex I previously owned I used Nuvite products. It was 6061-T6.

I learned the reality of the lesson taught to me when a friend said "everyone should own a polished airplane ... once!" ;)
I will check into Nuvite products... Thanks Jay

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
One rain doesn't corrode aluminum. Probably waterspots the same as any car left in the rain.

Jsample40

UPDATE: In consultation with Jim Gordon (Mitchell Wing Indiana) I have decided to follow his lead in employing Dura Coating Technology Blue Premium Metal Polish to restore the all aluminum exterior surfaces of my Mitchell Wing A-10. He has extensive experience in the restoration of the exact same MW aircraft... and sent me multiple pics of the results after using this product. They look absolutely AMAZING!!! Once I have received and used the product extensively, I will provide an update as to the results. I have recently used Mothers Mag & Aluminum paste polish... which did a reasonable job, but took several days for just the upper / lower surfaces of the 8' long outer wing segment on one side. Way Tooooo Much physical struggle for an 81 year old. (LOL).
Jay Sample

PagoBay

Maybe consider Ceramic Coatings? There are some industrial ceramic products made for application to metal surfaces. These coatings need little maintenance. Some types can be reapplied to restore the full protection. Should give you the gloss and shine you want along with protection from dust, rain spots, oxidation etc. I am more familiar with the auto ceramics but the industrial types might be the ticket. Here is one I found online.

Mad MAC

Maybe consider Ceramic Coatings? There are some industrial ceramic products made for application to metal surfaces. These coatings need little maintenance. Some types can be reapplied to restore the full protection. Should give you the gloss and shine you want along with protection from dust, rain spots, oxidation etc. I am more familiar with the auto ceramics but the industrial types might be the ticket. Here is one I found online.
Any idea how this impacts fatigue life, hard anodizing does horrible things to fatigue life not sure if this has a different effect or not.

proppastie

Log Member
I am more familiar with the auto ceramics
any conclusions? The Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions I have says 12 months....I have done a test spot on paint after a cleaner to remove oxidation and it was easy to apply.....I am worried as to if it is safe but they say safe for wheels which are aluminum now days.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I think I would wipe polished prop blades and spinners with a slightly oiled rag periodically. Perhaps in accordance with the prop manufacturers instructions. I didn't see anything in 43.13.

Jsample40

Interesting & highly technical concept.... Many Thanks, Jay