scratch build

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

MACOWA

HBA Supporter
Hello. Its good to be back. I have not been on the site since 2014. My last two projects turned out well, but as many of us know life happens. I now find myself with the time and resources to begin another build. Perhaps the simplest aircraft possible. probably under under the 254 limit. An absolute STOL would fit the bill as I live on the Olympic peninsula in Washington state and would like to fly from my own property.

MACOWA

HBA Supporter
Hello Mathew. A pod and boom pusher similar to the Chinook designs would be most practical for me. I have a zero hours Rotax 503, Black Max wheels & brakes on O'Keefe spring gear and a full set of IFR instruments, also a lot of 6061 tube all new and left over from previous projects. this would seem a good head start. Designing using these components from the get go would seem an advantage.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Oddly, there aren't a lot of pod-and-boom pusher designs available for scratch building despite how ubiquitous the layout is for factory-built and kit ultralights. Also, that engine and landing gear may represent unnecessary weight for Part 103 and why in the world would you need "a full set of IFR instruments" in an ultralight?

MACOWA

HBA Supporter
Hello, CluttonFRED, How right you are ! There are no published designs that fit these requirements. I am using the single tube keel designs of Alex Strojnik ( S-2/ S-4 ), as a guide. Probably the lightest possible approach, both from a structural standpoint and the use of control hardware internal to the tube itself. (See Low power aircraft technologies 1983 by Alex Strojnik). The 503,B-box is mated to a 56" Powerfin 5 blade ground adjustable prop. I am a retired fixed income guy so I will use this power plant because I own it. Right again on the landing gear. the spring from O'Keefe, is quite a chunk, intended for a Sonerai. It could be easily pared down to proper weight / spring reaction if flexural moduli for this alloy are considered As far as the instruments are concerned, it's not why in the world but where in the world ! I live on the Olympic peninsula in Washington state, south Puget sound. This is mountain/fijord country. winds are unpredictable and strong and all visibility can be lost in an instant. I have flown this area (between Sun point and Cruiser mountain, google earth it) in both my J-3 kitten and a Quicksilver on floats that was imediatly disassembled after the experience. At this point it looks like I must keep the wings, struts and tail feathers under 70 Lbs'. With this I could certainly use some help Respectfully Patick

MACOWA

HBA Supporter
Hello Victor Bravo, You too huh ! It's like flying with your head inside a plastic milk jug. Think we should move to Manitoba ?

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Had to go to Seattle 3 years ago, at end of July for DME recurrent. The residents there were complaining about the sweltering 85 degree heat......and the humidity was not up to the normal at the time........I thought it was a great relief as compared to Phoenix.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Hello Victor Bravo, You too huh ! It's like flying with your head inside a plastic milk jug. Think we should move to Manitoba ?
No, I'm a California boy. When it rains a tenth of an inch here, the Governor declares a State Disaster, and they start distributing water-resistant breast implants to the actresses and waitresses.

(uh oh... what's that black SUV doing in the driveway... what do you mean it's illegal to say waitress? That's no more offensive than steward-OUCH what the heck is that a stun gun?)

MACOWA

HBA Supporter
Hello, Victor Bravo. We receive 144 inches minimum (12 feet of water) yearly. ALL implants are water resistant, regardless of gender. We too experience that same intensity of OUCH,. Its the skeeters !

MACOWA

HBA Supporter
Had to go to Seattle 3 years ago, at end of July for DME recurrent. The residents there were complaining about the sweltering 85 degree heat......and the humidity was not up to the normal at the time........I thought it was a great relief as compared to Phoenix.

MACOWA

HBA Supporter
Hello, TerryM76. It's been a decade since I was in Phoenix but I can remember dry as a unique and wonderful experience.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Hello, TerryM76. It's been a decade since I was in Phoenix but I can remember dry as a unique and wonderful experience.
Yes, we all get to have a slice of paradise at various times of the year.......didn't realize that VB was getting all that rain out there.....when needed, we repair our roofs and wait two years to see if it was a good repair....

Looking forward to seeing what you build.

Terry

MACOWA

HBA Supporter
Yes, we all get to have a slice of paradise at various times of the year.......didn't realize that VB was getting all that rain out there.....when needed, we repair our roofs and wait two years to see if it was a good repair....

Looking forward to seeing what you build.

Terry

MACOWA

HBA Supporter
Hello,Terry. We repair our roofs as always needed and wait for the next tree to fall on it

dukem1

Hello all,
I'm Duke. I just bought a Baby Ace, (that I haven't picked up yet), and I want to find plans for a Davis DA2, but I am having a bear of the time trying to get those plans. Can anyone give me a good vector to a set of those DA2 plans? The Davis Site has some for sale, but the reviews say the guy running it is not reliable, and true to form, I can't get in touch with him. So, I am set on the DA2, its just funky and boxy, and efficient enough I really want to try and build one. Note, I have never built anything. But I am determined.
Thanks,
Duke

Bill-Higdon

Phoenix where you drive with oven mits in the summer