Scrappy’s Landing Gear Wings - Yay or Nay?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

It’s definitely not a ballerina. He mentioned it’s heavier than he wanted. No one saw that coming. Performance is going to be relative. He will probably equal power to weight of Draco with the turbos. He is also moving the CG so he can load the back with more stuff. It’s probably got the equal useful load to empty weight that he was aiming for. There will be days you want to fly out three iron big block Chevys in one go.

Reactions: BJC

billyvray

When Scrappy was first mentioned, he compared the desired end result of being something like a racing airboat. That would have been a cool aircraft to see. The project took on a very different direction, which I think is worse. He put in some really neat features and it is an interesting aircraft in its own right, but I still would have liked to see a truly stripped down dragster of an airplane (like what the STOL drag race guys are coming up with).

TFF

STOL drag came while Patey was designing and building it. He was building a “cheap”Draco, and he was king with Draco. It could probably clear a 50 ft obstacle with 200ft of runway or less. Draco went practically straight up once it cleared the ground. It made a Super Cub with a 360 on it look weak.

The sport evolved when he was building. The drags take a different level of effort that I don’t think he wants to commit to. Definitely the wrong airplane for that.

WBNH

M.P. previously stated that Scrappy was to be his heavy-hauler, long range, long loiter, adventure and search and rescue plane. In an earlier video, he said if he was to build a competition STOL/STOL-Drag plane, he would probably go Electric, and closer to an ultralight.

Last edited:

ScaleBirdsScott

In an earlier video, he said if he was to build a competition STOL/STOL-Drag plane, he would probably go Electric, and closer to an ultralight.
If he went that route he could probably carry it with Scrappy to the event, slung under the wing.

Or use a long extension cord/tow line and just fly the thing while running off a battery bank in the back of Scrappy that's constantly being topped off from all that solar.

TFF

It’s a one off with nothing to prove because it’s not for sale. That’s consumer thinking. It would be different if he was trying to sell copies. I don’t ever think he said anything was going to be better. He just wanted to throw the kitchen sink at something. I think In reality it’s a pig that can still kick everyone’s ass. Machine gun to a knife fight.

The real problem is it’s too “pretty “. No Videos of it landing on rocks. Debris deflected of the carbon shell fuselage. Hitting brush as it lands. It’s like the jacked up 4x4 that never see dirt. Pretty and shiny and a poser. It should be looking like a rock climbing Jeep with dents and scratches and speed tape holding a window in and dirt everywhere.

OKDon

Supporting Member
It’s a one off with nothing to prove because it’s not for sale. That’s consumer thinking. It would be different if he was trying to sell copies. I don’t ever think he said anything was going to be better. He just wanted to throw the kitchen sink at something. I think In reality it’s a pig that can still kick everyone’s ass. Machine gun to a knife fight.

The real problem is it’s too “pretty “. No Videos of it landing on rocks. Debris deflected of the carbon shell fuselage. Hitting brush as it lands. It’s like the jacked up 4x4 that never see dirt. Pretty and shiny and a poser. It should be looking like a rock climbing Jeep with dents and scratches and speed tape holding a window in and dirt everywhere.
Give it/him time. He's still sorting it out. The fun stuff will come later.
I like the idea of the dual slats - I'd like more detailed info on them.

TFF

Sorted is when he is done tinkering. It’s something that won’t ever be finished. I don’t think he knows what to do with it. He likes being in the shop, I think he wants problems to solve.

TarDevil

Sorted is when he is done tinkering. It’s something that won’t ever be finished. I don’t think he knows what to do with it. He likes being in the shop, I think he wants problems to solve.
He and Peter Garrison. Melmoth 2 flew 20 years ago and it spends more time torn apart than flying.

Last edited: