Quantcast

Scrappy’s Landing Gear Wings - Yay or Nay?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I don't find much time to watch all his long videos. But when I do squeeze a little time in I am thoroughly impressed and motivated. Would love to have him swing by our shop one day to pick his brain. 😁
I think his schtick gets old, but I watch the videos jjust to marvel at what you can accomplish with all the tools and money to pull it off.

Sockmonkey

I can see why there would be a 15 mile per hour penalty. It appears the benefit would only come while landing. Now, if there was someway to adjust those inflight, it would probably be way more efficient.

Either way, I love the innovation.
Just my 2 cents anyway.
The picture I posted is one I just went and shopped just to clearly illustrate what I meant.
In my version the idea is that they would replace the moving leading edge slats, not supplement them.
So less drag there during cruise as the leading edge is smooth.
The airfoil on the gear struts would be symmetrical, and parallel to the airflow in cruise, so no lift induced
drag. It's a lifting surface that's only a lifting surface when you need it, and has no moving parts. It's only at high AOA when landing that it generates lift.

Lendo

Y, Mike is OK, You mentioned ADHD however OCD crossed my mind. I have given this considerable thought and to tell the truth. I don't know ANYONE who I know who would meet the criteria of being completely normal, if I did i might find them completely boring. You might draw your own conclusion about me from that. My conclusion is that everyone is bent at a different angle (looking at it in 360°) and to different degrees/ extremes.
George

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Y, Mike is OK, You mentioned ADHD however OCD crossed my mind. I have given this considerable thought and to tell the truth. I don't know ANYONE who I know who would meet the criteria of being completely normal, if I did i might find them completely boring. You might draw your own conclusion about me from that. My conclusion is that everyone is bent at a different angle (looking at it in 360°) and to different degrees/ extremes.
George
I'm normal, just the rest of the world is nuts. :)

PTAirco

lol, early on I noticed he is never seen holding a broom then it hit me.....he likely has a small army working on these projects that never make it the videos either.....
Yes, he has. And when he says "I just finished the wiring..." - well. he and some others just finished the wiring, you just don't see it in the videos. Not knocking him, he wants to get stuff done I'm sure and can afford the help, but they sure don't get much credit. I have this form a reliable source btw.

Rik-

The odd thing is how his brother and Jason are working on their planes and then in the latest video (last night) Mark states that he has not touched his plane in a year.??? You can see him in the background working on a plane in several of Scrappy's video's?

Mike has his buddy that finally made the video's recently that helps him. Maybe he can keep up with the clean up work but there had to be some contractors working in that hanger as he added a lot of rooms to it and there's not time to do that, work on a plane and work for a living.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm sure and can afford the help, but they sure don't get much credit. I have this form a reliable source btw.
Mike's pretty open that he employs his best friend to assist him and has stated that's the only help he has. He appeared in one of the videos and they talked about it extensively although I can't remember which video.