Quantcast

Scrappy’s Landing Gear Wings - Yay or Nay?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Sockmonkey

Five or six years ago, I had the same thought. Make the struts on my old 172 into lifting surfaces! This was such genius, I couldn't believe nobody had figured it out. In the very best traditions of Ralph Kramden and Fred Flintstone, I was counting the millions already...
Same here. Great minds huh? Never actually built it though. Just shopped a pic to illustrate it.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If he did, it would be an honor. I watched part of the video and so many names.
I'm just an old WV redneck having fun.

ScaleBirdsScott

Seeing those inflatable spray booths more and more often. Gonna need me one of those.

Those skin panels look really nice but what's really awesome is seeing that decked out and rigged frame that goes under it. Everything looks well thought out, if not almost a bit excessive.

I like his bulkhead fitting design. I happen to have a Haas VF2 arriving in about a month...

Rik-

Dude is a one man airplane factory.

EVERY. SINGLE. DETAIL matters.
And everything on that plane is a detail item.
Curious... Mark does not make as many video's (obviously) but he is concurrently building a new cub as well as Jason Sneed all in the same hanger complex... So three new planes all being build simultaneously in the same hanger..

Guess Jason and Mark's will be a presentation more than a build log...

Lendo

S -100, Their very classy looking, but I doubt if they do anything that could be considered positive in terms of drag reduction. I have a friend building his whole Cub out of Carbon, rather than a steel frame with Carbon coverings. I'm yet to talk him into Carbon Landing Gear legs, but he is warming to the idea. It helps that he has his own Carbon Infusion business.
George

Yellowhammer

Same here. Great minds huh? Never actually built it though. Just shopped a pic to illustrate it.

I can see why there would be a 15 mile per hour penalty. It appears the benefit would only come while landing. Now, if there was someway to adjust those inflight, it would probably be way more efficient.

Either way, I love the innovation.
Just my 2 cents anyway.

Turd Ferguson

I give Mike full credit for being the "frontman" in all the videos, and having the vision and means to execute and complete his various projects. But I can't help but wonder why he continues to imply that he is a one man band.
lol, early on I noticed he is never seen holding a broom then it hit me.....he likely has a small army working on these projects that never make it the videos either.....

Yellowhammer

Mike seems to be a positive force in aviation and that’s something we need. He certainly captures people’s attention and his positive emotion is contagious for the people who love to watch videos of other people working.

ADHD.
Just so you all know, Mike is a author and authored a book on ADHD that he was diagnosed with. ADHD people are extreme high in emotion and have trouble regulating it. There’s also defined personality types in humans. Mike scores high in extroversion, scores high in positive emotion, scores high openness and scores high in industriousness and consciousness. That is his personality and that is what makes him a unique human like everyone else.

Personality traits are extremely difficult to change, it’s in your DNA. Some people are born with high negative emotion, score low in openness and extroversion and low in industriousness. That’s a literal hell for some people. Emotion causes trouble in these people.

Regardless. I’m friends with a personal friend of Mike’s. I know that doesn’t make me much but I had a good conversation about Mike and was told first he is a incredibly good person, very giving and very genuine. He also works around the clock. The world needs more people like him. He’s a positive force in a very negative and cynical world.

I can’t help but like the guy but also understand why some don’t like his videos. Personality types either match or they don’t. It’s ok not to like him, nothing wrong that. His videos are high in emotion. I don’t follow or watch his videos but have watched a couple.

I admire him for 1 reason. His industriousness and how he gets things done. I just don’t understand it. Like him I own a business. I am married and I have kids and also love aviation. I work at all these things 7 days a week and I wake up at 4:30/5:00 and go to bed late all 7 days. I feel I’m very efficient and very fast and here I am, not yet done and flying. It’s mind blowing how he gets so much done. I personally can’t squeeze more time out of my day unless I push my wife and kids out of my life and there’s no way I’m gonna do that.

My guess is he puts most of his effort in aviation and other things in his life suffer as a result. Life is like that, it’s always a compromise it seems.

Either way I hope he succeeds because aviation needs more doers and less watchers. He seems to be a positive force regardless of his personality trait.

I agree 100 percent. I have the highest respect for Mike and his brother. Two guys that started their own business and were in charge of a lot of employees and responsibility when they were still in high school. Self made millionaires .

I did not know that Mike wrote a book on ADHD. I was diagnosed with the same thing as a child. I can honestly say that all the things you mentioned pertaining to Mike's condition are true.

We can be very emotional about things and if we have a passion for something; It is all or nothing for people like us. My wife has a hard time understanding why I try to work around the clock all the tine and if it were not for her I would do so more often.

Once I get on a project, I don't won't to stop until it is finished correctly. Everything in my life has been the same way. When I was learning to play the guitar, piano, saxophone, and blues harps, I would not stop until I mastered each one. Then i would get bored and move to the next instrument.

I also have to be EXTREMELY organized in order to do anything especially building aircraft which is my favorite pastime other than flying them. Not OCD but pretty close to it.

Aviation and building airplanes has been the only thing I have found that scratches my itch for challenge, learning, and innovation.

Yellowhammer

Mike seems to be a positive force in aviation and that’s something we need. He certainly captures people’s attention and his positive emotion is contagious for the people who love to watch videos of other people working.

ADHD.
Just so you all know, Mike is a author and authored a book on ADHD that he was diagnosed with. ADHD people are extreme high in emotion and have trouble regulating it. There’s also defined personality types in humans. Mike scores high in extroversion, scores high in positive emotion, scores high openness and scores high in industriousness and consciousness. That is his personality and that is what makes him a unique human like everyone else.

Personality traits are extremely difficult to change, it’s in your DNA. Some people are born with high negative emotion, score low in openness and extroversion and low in industriousness. That’s a literal hell for some people. Emotion causes trouble in these people.

Regardless. I’m friends with a personal friend of Mike’s. I know that doesn’t make me much but I had a good conversation about Mike and was told first he is a incredibly good person, very giving and very genuine. He also works around the clock. The world needs more people like him. He’s a positive force in a very negative and cynical world.

I can’t help but like the guy but also understand why some don’t like his videos. Personality types either match or they don’t. It’s ok not to like him, nothing wrong that. His videos are high in emotion. I don’t follow or watch his videos but have watched a couple.

I admire him for 1 reason. His industriousness and how he gets things done. I just don’t understand it. Like him I own a business. I am married and I have kids and also love aviation. I work at all these things 7 days a week and I wake up at 4:30/5:00 and go to bed late all 7 days. I feel I’m very efficient and very fast and here I am, not yet done and flying. It’s mind blowing how he gets so much done. I personally can’t squeeze more time out of my day unless I push my wife and kids out of my life and there’s no way I’m gonna do that.

My guess is he puts most of his effort in aviation and other things in his life suffer as a result. Life is like that, it’s always a compromise it seems.

Either way I hope he succeeds because aviation needs more doers and less watchers. He seems to be a positive force regardless of his personality trait.

Adderal helps.

Yellowhammer

Pago Bay, With respect, the Forbes article you reference is fine if I am a corporate director or HR manager looking to build a team of like minded corporate robots. That's just about all the article is worth and has little value in Pops apparent (and I apologize Pops if I am making an incorrect assumption) general irritation of the personality displayed by Mike Patey on his Youtube channel. Some people just rub other people the wrong way. Although 97% of the population do use common areas of the brain for primary functionality, making a statement that generalizes all, and insinuates by implied reference that the gentleman we are referring to "brain center controlling emotion is tied more closely to the nervous system and if strongly engaged prevents the logical neo-cortex from functioning" apparently is affected by your diagnosis of emotional overload. How in the world are we to judge if his performance in front of the camera represents emotional overload. Some that watch his Youtube channel and are passionately rubbed the wrong way, may actually be the ones suddenly faced with emotional overload and thus their negative reaction to his videos (we each are entitled to like and dislike people or personalities). But this in and of itself does not mean that any party or opinion is wrong or somehow out of kilter with neuroscience. This is just people being people, and thank god that we live in a country where we can make our own decisions and decide what we want to watch or not.
I will say that the aviation community, especially the experimental aviation community is quite small, and is not heading in the direction that many of us had hoped for. In saying that, Mr. Patey has a Youtube following of 156,000 subscribers and growing. In this large number of subscribers, I believe are many that want to be involved in, or considering experimental aviation, or aviation in general. Perhaps many of the next generation of aircraft home-builders and aviators are watching his videos. He must be doing many things right in the eyes of those looking for good examples of aircraft fabrication techniques. I have not once seen him do anything unethical or out of line with any commercial fabrication or design process.
Many on the forum are engineers or scientists with extensive backgrounds (or our companies call us former engineers or scientist),l well respected in their respective fields, some of which are aviation design and manufacturing. They/we got there by being analytical, learned, and detail oriented ad nauseum. This is not a bad thing and actually absolutely necessary. But we do sometimes tend to try and analyze everything around us including people, just as we would analyze a failed design or part. It often is in our nature to do this and actually our somewhat extreme view on exactness, process, and procedure, is what make us so focused and valuable in our traditional roles.
I believe we are all entitled to like, dislike, tolerate (like marriage sometimes) or be intolerant, it is all up to us. The reasons we make these individual decisions are often not subject to debate, nor should they. I am sure I have not stated a single thing in this post that will change Pops mind about Mr. Patey, nor should I expect that, Pops has earned his stripes and deserves to be respected for his individual decision, just as you do yours. I do think however that as a forum, we need to stick to doing what we can to help this and the next generation to become fine aircraft designers and builders. And I of course am as guilty as any of not staying focused on the goals of the forum. With that, I will drift back into the shadows of the forum and quietly continue to learn from the many great contributors and talent that this forum has managed to assemble... With respect to all.... Joe
One thing all people can do if someone rubs them the worn way on Youtube and that is change the channel. I for one appreciate what Mike does for our community!