Quantcast

Scrappy’s Landing Gear Wings - Yay or Nay?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

Anyone else here following Mike Patey’s Scrappy Cub build? What do you think of the short wings he built onto his landing gear?

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Well it was figured out back during The Great War that aerodynamically wings should lift, the tailplanes should pull, and everything else should have minimum drag. Usually that was because the induced drag was huge on low aspect ratio surfaces. I would hope that at worst these things would just be low drag fairings. His might be beneficial, and his videos are fun.

TFF

Bellanca used airfoiled struts in the 30s. Why not turn a surface into something lifting?

I think in the end is get it to lift in conjunction with the wing and not make it have a funky CG effect. That is a lot of work. Gear legs are not that big, but if there is lifting aero wash that is influencing the tail, it could be a mess. Stall of the gear may change stuff too. I think streamlined would be better, but different is what scrappy is about. It will have enough horsepower to fix a lot anyway.

galapoola

As I understand it, float plane pontoons add lift as do the hull of an amphibian (like a Grumman Goose) so not necessarily out of the ordinary.

dino

HBA Supporter
Because lift creates drag, it is best to do it at efficient conversion ratios (high L/D). In other words what Bill said. Fairings on appendages are usually best kept aligned to the streamile.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I don't follow his builds. Anyone got a pic of what we're talking about here?

don january

Log Member
I was lead to believe it was "ADHD" but I guess its all the same some type of disorder. Remind me is this the same fella that blew getting of the ground at Reno?? Hope his over powered plane serves him better or should I say he serves it better

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I was lead to believe it was "ADHD" but I guess its all the same some type of disorder. Remind me is this the same fella that blew getting of the ground at Reno?? Hope his over powered plane serves him better or should I say he serves it better
Could be ADHD or what ever. :)
Same fella.

HHCIB

I think those short wings are going to be substantial source of interference drag thanks to the fabric covered lower arms just below his "winged" arms. And they're partially in the prop wash; this will increase the drag and may have some other interesting effects coupled with power. In his latest video he claims to have done some lift/drag calculations and that he'll detail them soon; it'll be interesting to see what influences he accounted for.

rbarnes

Usually that was because the induced drag was huge on low aspect ratio surfaces. I would hope that at worst these things would just be low drag fairings. .
We are talking about an airplane with an air boat prop on the front....

Mad MAC

I can see why he has done it but its horrible, it doesn't require that much of a design change to make it a single stub wing and strut. It also decreases the aircrafts effective dihedral. Plus with the propwash asymmetry, could have interesting power effects.

dkwflight

Actual flying will tell.
I do think given the drag of the bare gear compared to the wing gear.
The only way to tell for sure is to fly it both ways.
Dennis

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The slot between the flat plate and the underside of the airfoil will create lots of drag. Ross Perot might've been looking into the future and describing this gear when he talked about the "giant sucking sound."

Still, Mike's composite work is exquisite and I respect him for experimenting and getting things done.

canadair

I give Mike full credit for being the "frontman" in all the videos, and having the vision and means to execute and complete his various projects. But I can't help but wonder why he continues to imply that he is a one man band.
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that its beyond one person to actually design, draw, fabricate, build, assemble and create all the videos by himself in the timespan the airplanes are built in. There are just not enough hours in a day.
Mike would likely have help with the mold making, CAD work, video filming and editing, etc.
I would enjoy the videos far more if Mike featured the others involved, and gave credit for their participation.
Perhaps as he pays all the bills he wants all the credit?

rbarnes

I give Mike full credit for being the "frontman" in all the videos, and having the vision and means to execute and complete his various projects. But I can't help but wonder why he continues to imply that he is a one man band.
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that its beyond one person to actually design, draw, fabricate, build, assemble and create all the videos by himself in the timespan the airplanes are built in. There are just not enough hours in a day.
Mike would likely have help with the mold making, CAD work, video filming and editing, etc.
I would enjoy the videos far more if Mike featured the others involved, and gave credit for their participation.
Perhaps as he pays all the bills he wants all the credit?
1. Mike is semi-retired after selling his engineering firm so he has lots of time for hobbies
2. Mike constantly talks about "chasing the sun" working every night into the wee hours
3. Look at Mike's past projects. From off road racing, to hotrod Lancairs, to super Wilga conversion ..... he knows what he's doing and has the drive to finish projects in time frames that make the rest of us jealous.
4. If you watch the previous video before this latest one he proudly shows off his family helping with fabric work on the tail

crusty old aviator

Sorry, I can't take his videos. All I can think about is a 14 year old on a sugar high with ADD.
Is this the same goomer who built Draco? I saw that at Oshkosh, all lit up like a Christmas tree at night. I thought, now there’s something a 12 year old would think was pretty cool, then two years later would find quite lame and not give it a second look.
Does that mean I have a lower tolerance than Pops?
Yeah, okay: he has unbridled enthusiasm and builds lots of stuff, and he’s having fun, so I’m happy for him, but I’d rather watch old Walton’s re-runs than his videos.

Will Aldridge

Log Member
There was a certain someone a certain number of years ago that labeled a certain segment of the population "a basket of deplorables" and it kinda became a badge of honor, people referred to themselves that way. Well consider me a 12 year old then cause I still think Draco is awesome. Wether you can stand watching his videos or not you have to admit there is a standard of excellence in craftsmanship that we would all do well to emulate. Not to mention they're is a gold mine of little nuggets of info that have helped me a lot in my current project.