• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Scrappers lathe project.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NOTE *Lathe for cassutt parts*

As some of you know I F'd up my knee last weekend and I'm down for the count for at least another week minimum. I'm on strong pain killers so I can't drive. That means I'm stuck at home and can't even go to my shop.

I watched TV all day yesterday and there's no way I can do that every day until I'm better, no dam way.

So my plan is to build my lathe support so I can turn some threaded inserts for the Cassutt. As some of you know I moved my shop. I still haven't set-up and reconfigured my little Taig lathe. It's an awesome little lathe but I always hated my original set-up so a couple years back I stripped it and threw it away knowing one day I'd build it better. So I convinced my crazy neighbor to drive me to the shop and I dug out the 2 primary lathe parts out. Here.
IMG_20170906_123942596~2.jpg

IMG_20170906_124057298~2.jpg

Here is the spot I want it to go and I want it wall mounted so I can mop my floors.
IMG_20170906_124047935~2.jpg

I have no idea what this will look like, partially because I'm on serious pain killers but mostly because I need to use scrap. Remember, I can't drive until my knee is better so no visiting metal suppliers.

So my crazy neighbor and I dug through my shop and pulled out a bunch of scrap and brought it home so I can work in my driveway on my porch sitting down in a chair. Just me, a square, a porta-band and some scrap.
2017-09-06-12-57-41.jpg

Next step is to plan a design on scratch paper.

Back