Scanning Old Plans

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Monty

After a bonsai 2.5 day insane trip to Ontario, I have a new project in my hangar. The sheet metal work is very nice, unfortunately the state of the plans is not that great. There are only about 5 of these airplanes flying and I would like to preserve the plans. Anybody know anything about scanning large full size plans?

I feel like an archeologist....

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I had some done recently at the local Staples. Worked out to about $3 per page for "D" sheets in B+W. Would have cost less if I had made it clear I only wanted the PDF file rather than copies as well.

I then made JPG files from the PDF because they open sooo much faster as does the zoom/scan.

If you want cheap just past them on a wall and take a pic in high resolution mode.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If Kinko's FedEx is expensive, make friends with a local architect or engineer who has a large-format scanner in his office.

dcstrng

I use Staples, they routinely do this stuff (construction drawings in a gazillion sizes) in my area -- usually I just make extra copies of the rib template, and then a PDF so I can load in my shop-laptop... then I can enlarge the view for whatever I'm trying to mutilate at the moment... But have made full sized copies in a few instances (rarely, as the laptop regimen works better for my geriatric eyeballs...)

Deuelly

Log Member
I've got a large format scanner and could do it for you if you wanted. Just send me a PM if you want.

Monty

Would this one by chance have folding wings?
No. It has a totally different center section/wing design though. The spar caps go all the way to the center of the fuselage and are bolted together by a bunch of smaller bolts and 4130 straps front and rear. The Fuselage and wing are integrated into one assembly. Once it's assembled, it will be very hard to transport other than flying.

Armilite

If you really want a Good Clear set of Plans, try to redraw them in a Free, Simple 2D CAD program from www.emachineshop.com that also lets you View the Part in 3D. You could Type in the Info with Photo's into a Word Processor also. You could also save as a PDF that anyone can open to View or Print Out. That also allows you to Fix Mistakes, or Add Upgrades.

DaveLaw

I just had a set of Cassutt IIIM plans scanned to PDFs. I used a company that does a lot of engineering prints that a company I used to work for used for their reproduction needs. They charged $2.75 per scan for about 34 18” x 24” scans. I also used Office Max for a few scans they charged $4.99 per scan. Just about any place that has a large format scanner can do the job.

Gregory Perkins

I believe the better option when scanning blueprints is to ask for TIF format black and white at 600 DPI (dots per inch) resolution. There are many drawing programs that
will allow you to add to or erase or modify the plans as well as insert your own notes
and instructions etc as you work with them in the TIF graphics format. It would also be easier to print small subsets of pages that you are working on etc. You would of course only make changes to copies of the original scans and never make changes to the original scans.
In fact for little or no extra charge you should be able to get the blueprints printing service to give you both PDF and TIF formats on the same CD or memory card or whatever they are using to store the data on. Further and most importantly, if you
are using a CAD system, more than likely it will be able to import (raytrace) the TIF file if you want to "redraw" some drawings or fix them in some way if desired. BTW. it is the TIF format that all US Patent Office info is stored in and was originally invented for use with FAX machines many decades ago.

cvairwerks

One of the CAD jobs I had was fixing drawings that were scanned in so that they were correct and could be converted to IGES and STEP files. I spent more time fixing them than if I had simply redrawn them, but was directed to fix rather than redraw.

Rob de Bie

I just had a set of Cassutt IIIM plans scanned to PDFs. I used a company that does a lot of engineering prints that a company I used to work for used for their reproduction needs. They charged $2.75 per scan for about 34 18” x 24” scans. I also used Office Max for a few scans they charged $4.99 per scan. Just about any place that has a large format scanner can do the job.
Oh! I have to ask: would you be willing to share or sell these PDFs? I've wanted to study those Cassutt plans for a long time, but I did not want to bother members here to scan or photograph them. But since you already did the scanning, I cannot resist asking. It would be for study purposes only, I'm not a pilot, and homebuilding aircraft is tightly regulated here in the Netherlands. As an example of my interests, I spent a day or so recalculating the Cremona (Cremona-Maxwell) diagram from the original plans, for the front fuselage (see picture). Most of the time was spent learning the method, by the way, it's fairly easy once understood.

Rob