Scanning Old Plans

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Monty

After a bonsai 2.5 day insane trip to Ontario, I have a new project in my hangar. The sheet metal work is very nice, unfortunately the state of the plans is not that great. There are only about 5 of these airplanes flying and I would like to preserve the plans. Anybody know anything about scanning large full size plans?

I feel like an archeologist....

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I had some done recently at the local Staples. Worked out to about $3 per page for "D" sheets in B+W. Would have cost less if I had made it clear I only wanted the PDF file rather than copies as well.

I then made JPG files from the PDF because they open sooo much faster as does the zoom/scan.

If you want cheap just past them on a wall and take a pic in high resolution mode.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If Kinko's FedEx is expensive, make friends with a local architect or engineer who has a large-format scanner in his office.

dcstrng

I use Staples, they routinely do this stuff (construction drawings in a gazillion sizes) in my area -- usually I just make extra copies of the rib template, and then a PDF so I can load in my shop-laptop... then I can enlarge the view for whatever I'm trying to mutilate at the moment... But have made full sized copies in a few instances (rarely, as the laptop regimen works better for my geriatric eyeballs...)

Deuelly

Log Member
I've got a large format scanner and could do it for you if you wanted. Just send me a PM if you want.

Monty

Would this one by chance have folding wings?
No. It has a totally different center section/wing design though. The spar caps go all the way to the center of the fuselage and are bolted together by a bunch of smaller bolts and 4130 straps front and rear. The Fuselage and wing are integrated into one assembly. Once it's assembled, it will be very hard to transport other than flying.

Armilite

If you really want a Good Clear set of Plans, try to redraw them in a Free, Simple 2D CAD program from www.emachineshop.com that also lets you View the Part in 3D. You could Type in the Info with Photo's into a Word Processor also. You could also save as a PDF that anyone can open to View or Print Out. That also allows you to Fix Mistakes, or Add Upgrades.