• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Scaled-down T-28

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt G.

I guess it's finally time for me to start a thread for this thing. I thought I'd keep it more under wraps until this project became more well-defined, but after spending the better part of a day reading various threads on here to learn useful things, I now think it might be better to get input from those far more knowledgeable than me so I don't go too far down the wrong path. While I have two degrees in Aerospace Engineering and I currently work as a Stress engineer in the field, I've just begun my career, and I have a lot to learn. I've been slowly collecting design books covering a range of Aero and Mechanical Engineering topics to assist me with the process. Enough about me, more on the plane....

I've always liked warbirds and radial engines, but I know I won't likely ever be rich enough to own a P-51, F4U, or even a T-28. I also want a somewhat practical cross-country airplane. Wanting the ability to carry a second person eliminates quite a few potential candidates. For some reason, I've always liked the looks of the T-28 since I first saw one at an airshow when I was little. I could very well be the only one that feels this way, as I've never heard of anyone making a scaled-down T-28. My overall requirements are more or less as follows:

• Non-cramped accommodation for two tall people (I'm 6'3", and consequently don't fit well in quite a few planes)
  • Resemble T-28 in looks, and use the Rotec R3600 radial engine
  • Easy to fly and safe handling qualities
  • ~600ish statute mile range with VFR reserves
  • 150+mph TAS at cruise
  • Design for crashworthiness
  • Stall speed less than 60 mph in landing configuration
  • 2000' takeoff distance to clear a 50' obstacle at 5000' DA (might be a rather lofty goal)
  • aluminum semi-monocoque construction
  • ~50lb of baggage (not a clue where that's going to fit, at the moment)
  • Probably a few more things I can't think of at the moment
Having just started this project, I've yet to even settle on a scale factor; I'm trying to decide between 65%, 70%, and 75%. Right now, it looks like 70% is the best compromise. At that scale factor, I'd like to see a roughly 1200lb empty weight and 1800-2000lb gross weight at similar overall dimensions to a Cessna 152. Not having designed a small aircraft outside of an academic exercise while in school, I have no idea if I stand a chance at hitting that combination of requirements, so any input from those with experience would be much appreciated.

As soon as I can get ahold of some good drawings to use to make my OML loft, I'll settle on a scale factor and start moving forward with laying out the location of various systems and attempting to see if its possible to make the CG wind up where it needs to be, which means I first need to open up my copy of Perkins and Hage and see if I'll even have a reasonable CG range. The horizontal and vertical tail volumes look ok for a GA aircraft, so I don't see any immediate problems with making this work. I also want to change the airfoil from the 64A-215 the real thing has to something more appropriate for a GA aircraft. I suspect that airfoil may have been chosen to make the T-28 fly more like the jets of the day that pilots would transition into. Or I could be way off base there. At any rate, there are probably better airfoils to use. Anyone have airfoil family suggestions? I think I'd like to stick with 15% thickness.

This is going to be a VERY long-term project for me, most likely. I'm just starting my career, so I don't currently have the facilities or tools to construct an aircraft. I also need to learn more about building with sheetmetal. Hopefully by the time I get this designed I'll actually have everything else in place to build it. Looking further ahead to the future, I'm wondering what ridiculous sum of money it'll cost to insure this thing after it is completed. Surely someone here with a one-off design can help prepare me for what to expect when I reach that stage.

I'll post more updates as I proceed, and I welcome any and all constructive feedback!

Back