Scale TA-183 viii

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Soehlig

Playing around on fusion and designing a scale TA-183v3. The only powerplant I can find that would be somewhat reasonable to acquire is the TJ100 and scaling the aircraft down leaves no room for the intake ducting...doh.

Attachments

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Bifurcate the inlet duct like the original and run ducts under the arm rests. Or trifurcate with an additional central tunnel.

addicted2climbing

HBA Supporter
Log Member
A scaled down Huckebein...Toto we are not in Kansas anymore...

As jay mentioned bifurcating the duct would be required. My other concern on the Ta-183 is the tail section on a cantilevered arm that is attached at the location where the engine is. Might be tough to get that rigid enough so that the tailplane does not wobble or flutter in flight. At least you chose the version with the conventional tail and decent size rudder over the first version with the odd rudder and tiny V tail.

This is an ambitious project and likely not best candidate for a first aircraft design. What is your background to start a project like this? This group is great to ask questions, but not a substitute for the math and engineering required to do this. However that said, darn I'd love to see one of these fly one day...

Soehlig

Bifurcate the inlet duct like the original and run ducts under the armrests. Or trifurcate with an additional central tunnel.
Agreed. I played around with something like this, but so far I have opted to put a nose cone on it and use NACA ducts for the intake similar to the BD-5J. Although this would negate the original intent of looking like a TA-183. Interesting, I was at an aviation museum recently and noticed the Mig-15 used a bifurcated duct.

A scaled down Huckebein...Toto we are not in Kansas anymore...

As jay mentioned bifurcating the duct would be required. My other concern on the Ta-183 is the tail section on a cantilevered arm that is attached at the location where the engine is. Might be tough to get that rigid enough so that the tailplane does not wobble or flutter in flight. At least you chose the version with the conventional tail and decent size rudder over the first version with the odd rudder and tiny V tail.

This is an ambitious project and likely, not the best candidate for a first aircraft design. What is your background to start a project like this? This group is great to ask questions, but not a substitute for the math and engineering required to do this. However, that said, darn I'd love to see one of these fly one day...
Missouri, actually! Kansas City. I've had similar concerns about the tail, but haven't been working on the fuselage/empennage at all. I recently purchased a book Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders and was starting with the powerplant/gross weight and airfoil first. I'm still lost, but have some more books on order.

This is 100 percent too ambitious for me, especially as a first project. My undergrad was in History and German and my most advanced math class was college algebra. By trade, I am a pilot which doesn't really help either. The only advantage I have is at my current job, I have a lot of free time to read and mess around on fusion 360 which I enjoy.

I appreciate the replies!

Urquiola

I've seen a photography of what was obviously a Tank-183 landing with a brake parachute, I guess this was in Germany, but I'm not sure if this was of the soviet captured machine. Sorry, I failed in retrieving image or reference. Blessings +

Soehlig

I finally received a book I ordered General Aviation Aircraft Design: Applied Methods and Procedures. So, I'll be going through that on how to actually design the aircraft and will probably be reworking everything outside of the basic fuselage shape so it is somewhat logical and safe at least on paper.

Soehlig

I'm going to shelve this project for a while and work on something less ambitious that would be significantly cheaper and easier to build. I appreciate all the advice here. If anyone wants the cad files they're available on my grabcad. Moderators feel free to delete the thread.

Attachments