• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Scale ME-262

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saville

So the latest issue of Kit Planes had a Paul Dye article on his SubSonex. Interesting article. He makes it pretty clear that building and owning a SubSonex is pretty much of a vanity thing - it's not a good XC machine, for instance.

But that got me to thinking:

These little jet engines are coming down in price and increasing in performance and reliability.

Is a scale ME-262 with two of the SubSonex engines (PBS TJ-100 turbojet) at all feasible?

Can you arrive at a scale and weight where:

1) A sea level standard sized pilot can fit comfortably and

2) Can you increase the fuel capacity to make it a good XC machine

3) Can you make it a 6+/4- G aerobatic airplane without increasing weight
and what are the engine inlet issues with regard to aerobatics?

The very first crude calculation is thrust to weight:

Stock ME-262

thrust * 2 = 1,848
gross weight = 14,271

Thrust to weight = 0.26 - 0.28

Thrust taken from 109-004B
Production-series engines with reduced weight and strategic
materials.

SubSonex:

Thrust * 1 = 258.53 lb
gross weight = 1000lbs

Thrust to weight = 0.25852

Scale-262:

Thrust * 2 = 517.06
gross weight = 2000 lbs

Thrust to weight = 0.25853 (Obviously the same as the SubSonex since I doubled
both Values)

Similar thrust to weight. I wonder if one could get the weight down substantially? I think 2000 lbs is a conservative overestimate but I don't know that for sure. Certainly composites would
help with that.

Back