Scale ME-262

Discussion in 'Warbirds / Warbird Replicas' started by Saville, Oct 5, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 10, 2020 #161

vhhjr

vhhjr

vhhjr

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The seat angle in the 55% is 35 deg, way too flat. That's what it took to get me into the 55% mock-up. Mostly to get my shoulders under the canopy sill. I am 5"10 and weigh about 200 lbs. I measured a Varieze, a single place glider and a German plane called a Speed Canard and they were all around 45 deg. Having made a several hour flight in the Speed Canard I found it quite comfortable although a slightly more upright angle, such as it my Sonex and Onex, would be better.

2. Jan 13, 2020 at 6:53 PM #162

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

10 secs could be useful when rotating.

3. Jan 14, 2020 at 2:28 PM #163

Urquiola

Urquiola

Urquiola

I'm not sure Me-262 is the best airplane for being replicated. A very beautiful machine, great triangular shaped fuselage section, but twin engined, this adds difficulties and costs, slow in turning. For having fun, any single jet Messerchmitt, Horten, Heinkel, Junkers project looks better, many German aeromodellers have built flying machines with these projects; they have yearly meetings such as 'Days of speed and thunder', for pulse jets; Intermodellbau Dortmund and others. Info in YouTube. Enjoy it! Gesund +

4. Jan 16, 2020 at 1:53 AM #164

vhhjr

vhhjr

vhhjr

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

If you want to stick with the German WWII theme the He-162 and the ME-163 could be single engine candidates.

I have looked at them both and the one with the best history would be the ME-163 Komet. Leave off the C-Stoff rocket engine and use the engine that the SubSonex uses. There was a full size glider replica built in Europe some years ago that you can see fly on YouTube.

The flight reports that I have for the HE-162 Salamander say that it had marginal flight characteristics somewhat due to the lack of thrust. This could be corrected by scaling up a model had better flight manners and with a better propulsion choice. The other problem is with scaling for a couple reasons. The wing isn't very large and a 66% replica would have only 44% of the full size wing area so you would have to make the wing larger than scale and build light. The nose wheel housing would also be in the way in a reduced scale replica.