Scale ME-262

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aerowerx

IIRC, the ME-262 engines had a MTBOH measured in single digit hours, so you certainly wouldn't want to use an original even if you could find one that still worked.

Urquiola

Aixro.de and D-Motors.be offered prototyping services; you know full info about old German Jet Engines, and many, many more, is in AEHS site, enginehistory.org Membership is below $15 a year, if you add valuable new information or files, you get a free lifetime membership fees.
Blessings +

Aerowerx

Did I read expected Jumo 004 halflife being 30 hrs?
Blessings +
Maybe I was wrong with the number. I would have to look it up again to be sure.

I read it in a book. Written by an RAF pilot whose job it was to ferry captured Luftwaffe aircraft back to England. One time they captured a field with ME-262's. All maintenance records had been destroyed by the Germans, so they picked the best looking 2 to fly back. His partner took off first, and the thing exploded on the runway. Didn't exactly give him a warm fuzzy feeling.

Jerry Lytle

IIRC, the ME-262 engines had a MTBOH measured in single digit hours, so you certainly wouldn't want to use an original even if you could find one that still worked.
The Jumo engines were simple and automotive repair shops could could and did do the overhaul. I have read so many books by German Aces I cannot remember which one this was from, but during the last days of the war he was taking off and landing on the autobhon, hiding the plane in the trees along the road and finding overhauled engines at a local garage.

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
If you take that pentagram, connect the extreme points smoothly with a curve, then judiciously apply conformal mapping, you get back to the subject of aerodynamics, which is a legitimate topic here at HBA.

BJC

Love your reply. Very tactful and well thought out.

Yellowhammer

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
In model airplane scale contests, builders who object to putting a Nazi swastika on their models are allowed to paint it reversed from the Nazi orientation (so the tails point in the opposite direction) without losing points for accuracy.

BJC

HBA Supporter
In model airplane scale contests, builders who object to putting a Nazi swastika on their models are allowed to paint it reversed from the Nazi orientation (so the tails point in the opposite direction) without losing points for accuracy.
If I objected to the training wheel on a P-39, could I ...... oh, never mind.

BJC

Marc W

I figured you fooled yourself there! I don't remember how many were built. I would have to look it up.

Reactions: BJC

nicknack

How 'bout something that looks like a ME163, TA183 and the F86 had a love child? ie the XF85?
Still around in the museum collection.
Make it a lot lighter, give it a set of tricycle gears and use a huge ducted fan? or maybe even a turboshaft from PBS like the TS100? if it is possible to get about 3 lbs/hp thrust from the fan, a 240hp -400hp engine can deliver 750 lbs to 1200lbs of thrust?
1611991884753.png
1611991911672.png

flitzerpilot

As a Brit biplane fanatic, may I comment that Heinemann's A-4 was a versatile, mission-capable aeroplane and very appealing aesthetically. Although I've never had the privilege of seeing one for real, I admire it hugely.

But as we're talking Goblins here, this is a retro offering from the Flitzer stable, two of which projects are progressing at this time.
Goblin Schwert 3-view.jpeg

User27

It is still illegal to display a swastika in Germany & I believe a few other European countries. A few WW2 era aircraft in the UK show them for historical correctness but must cover up (with a black diamond or similar) if they venture on to the European mainland.

Aerowerx

How 'bout something that looks like a ME163, TA183 and the F86 had a love child? ie the XF85?
Still around in the museum collection.
Make it a lot lighter, give it a set of tricycle gears and use a huge ducted fan? or maybe even a turboshaft from PBS like the TS100? if it is possible to get about 3 lbs/hp thrust from the fan, a 240hp -400hp engine can deliver 750 lbs to 1200lbs of thrust?
View attachment 106990
View attachment 106991
But then you would need a B-29 to launch it from!!

Hmmmmm. How about a 1/4 scale B-29?

Riggerrob

X-85 reminds me of my neighbour's bulldog whose favourite sport is chasing parked cars!
Hah!
Hah!

Seriously, you could do much better with an inverted "V" tail.

Marc W

If you like short and pudgy the Northrup XP-56 might be a better candidate for replication since it used propellers.

1612053976469.png

1612053910961.png