Quantcast

Scale ME-262

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mod note:. Deleted two posts that were getting too close to the edge.

Re the swastika, yes, it had a long pre Nazi history, unfortunately it will be forever associated with evil. Some scale modelers paint a reversed version on their German models, I believe the competition rules allow this with no penalty for the deviation from original.

opcod

It's only the modern day that you cannot tell what is what. History is history and the french yesterday are the perfect example. On aviation, the german were the finest designer of all time and all design are all from that era. When no budget was the limit. But indeed, making a small 80% replica with 2 salto jet can be about 35k$ for the engine system, not much more.

pictsidhe

Banned

Erik Snyman

Erik Snyman

Did you see the BIG ones?

750 N thrust=165 pounds, if I am correct. Two of those = 330 pounds, = the thrust of one Turbomeca Palas turbojet.

pictsidhe

Banned
Did you see the BIG ones?

No, I didn't see those ones. Along with the biggest gas engines in the hobby shop, they might work on an Me262-v103

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
It would have to be very light and single place. Probably in the 65% scale range. I built a 55% fuselage mock-up and it's too small at true scale. A fat fuselage would work as you only need a few inches, especially in fuselage height. The batteries would be a killer. Full power would be 90 kw and at even 200 watt-hr/lb an hours worth of batteries would be over 400 lbs. If one could conquer the complexities of a hybrid it might be possible. I must admit it would be a great project!

Vince Homer

Riggerrob

Mod note:. Deleted two posts that were getting too close to the edge.

Re the swastika, yes, it had a long pre Nazi history, unfortunately it will be forever associated with evil. Some scale modelers paint a reversed version on their German models, I believe the competition rules allow this with no penalty for the deviation from original.
Notzi swastika will be replaced by 4 question marks ???? ... if I ever get around to building that Blohm & Voss 141 replica that I have been babbling about.
Hah!
Hah!

Erik Snyman

It would have to be very light and single place. Probably in the 65% scale range. I built a 55% fuselage mock-up and it's too small at true scale. A fat fuselage would work as you only need a few inches, especially in fuselage height. The batteries would be a killer. Full power would be 90 kw and at even 200 watt-hr/lb an hours worth of batteries would be over 400 lbs. If one could conquer the complexities of a hybrid it might be possible. I must admit it would be a great project!

Vince Homer
Since it will be jet replica, how about installing one of those free-standing jet-powered gen-sets as well, to keep the batteries topped-up during flight? I have no idea what those little gen-sets weigh, though. Or, run the fans directly off the generator, and get rid of the battery pack?

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
To make a hybrid with two Vasi 45 kw fans that can sustain flight as long as the fuel lasts requires a genset in the 70-90 kw range. To my knowledge, there's nothing commercially available that's even close to light enough. That's where the big development project comes in, designing and building an airborne genset. The turbine APUs are out there, but you might as well just use jet engines and forego the hybrid system complexity. I think the fuel consumption would be similar for an APU based hybrid verses jet engines.

Having a limited capacity battery pack allows you to operate the fans at a higher power setting than your genset puts out. This gives you improved takeoff and climb out. For cruise the genset could be sized to provide cruise power plus a bit more to top the batteries back up. This is pretty standard hybrid design.

Vince Homer

Erik Snyman

Why make it so heavy and complex when you could just use a pair of direct drive gas engines?
No particular reason. I like the Plug-and-play the Vasi system has, with a fan already built and tested to known specs. Sort of not trying to re-invent the round wheel into another shape and form. Plus, I like the idea of significant reduced fuel consumption and weight the one genset offers compared to two turbo jets. Also, it looks cool, and 1/2 the chances of an engine-out, and SHOULD the engine quits, the back-up batteries provides enough time to look for an appropriate place to do the emergency (forced) landing.
And, probably the main motivation: Because I can...
Now, I wonder if the electrical part could be taken out of the system completely, and stick a pulley on the input side of the fan, and run a belt drive directly connected to a LS6. Of course this will be a bit more difficult to execute on a ME 262. Think about a scaled F4 with the fans directly facing the incoming air stream. Jodel kinked wings, 2 seats.... ..........etc, etc.

Last edited:

Erik Snyman

25 minutes ago
pictsidhe said:
Why make it so heavy and complex when you could just use a pair of direct drive gas engines?
No particular reason. I like the Plug-and-play the Vasi system has, with a fan already built and tested to known specs. Sort of not trying to re-invent the round wheel into another shape and form. Plus, I like the idea of significant reduced fuel consumption and weight the one genset offers compared to two turbo jets. Also, it looks cool, and 1/2 the chances of an engine-out, and SHOULD the engine quits, the back-up batteries provides enough time to look for an appropriate place to do the emergency (forced) landing.
And, probably the main motivation: Because I can...
Now, I wonder if the electrical part could be taken out of the system completely, and stick a pulley on the input side of the fan, and run a belt drive directly connected to a LS6. Of course this will be a bit more difficult to execute on a ME 262. Think about a scaled F4 with the fans directly facing the incoming air stream. Jodel kinked wings, 2 seats.... ..........etc, etc.

Erik Snyman

Vince, I have mistakenly put a "Ignore posts by this member" filter against your posting. Very sorry for the mistake. I am trying to rectify it.

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
Does this filter apply globally or only to posts coming into your account? If it's global I guess I'm out of the posting business for now.

Vince Homer