• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

sailplane spar joining methods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handprop

Hey guys

Could any of you point me in the direction of methods used in joining sailplane wings. Iv'e been spending each night studying structural design of wings and I am starting to look ahead at how I want to join my aluminum wings in the steel tube fuselage for my Doodlebug project.

The Sonerai is a similar type set-up as far as aluminum wings and steel tube fuselage. The method used here is a steel box where each spar slips in the box at the 1/2 way point and then pinned top and bottom on each spar at the root.

For the Doodlebug I was thinking about studying how some of the sailplane folks do it where the spars overlap but I cannot seem to find much information on how they do it. Does anyone know how this is done on aluminum wings or know of any sailplane websites where I can generate some ideas for some calculations?

Mike

Back