Sailplane Schools/Clubs in best winter month location

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

paraplane

Where are the best location s to live and fly during the winter months in North America? Looking for the optimum location for learning piloting Sailplanes and recommended schools/clubs for training. Would like to find a School where I can learn with an instructor that is available most days of the week and where on average flying weather is excellent during the winter. Would Texas, Southern California, Florida, Arizona be the best?

kubark42

Check out Burt Compton's school in Marfa, TX. He's got a very solid reputation in the sailing world.

They have year-round thermaling conditions in western Texas.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Some of the locations in California offer very good wave soaring, but this is far from the ideal environment to learn the sport. Like learning boxing by going into the ring with Mike Tyson :)

If there is good thermal soaring in Texas in the winter months, then that is likely ideal. I was there only once in Summer. Texas is mostly flat, which is also good for training. A friend of mine and a few of his friends are in the process of putting together a soaring club in Uvalde or Hondo I believe, so if you are in that neck of the woods I can put you in touch.

paraplane

I live in California at the moment but am considering moving to a location excellent for flying and living there over the winter with the objective of attaining a Sailplane Pilots License/Endorsement. I would like to be living in a nice location preferably warm though the quality of the lessons and instruction would be paramount.

paraplane

I wouldn't mind riding Sierra Wave to 30,000 feet my second ride ever... Mike Tyson... Phfff...
Really though I would like to be training at a school with a winch and learn not only aero tow.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
It seems to me to be very difficult for someone like me to get an add-on glider rating. I looked at schools in Nevada and California, as well as my local soaring club.

The schools had poor reviews. Neither answered their phone and took a long time to respond inquiries via their contact info. I even had someone PM me on another forum to say I should not give any money to one of the schools, because they had a history of taking money and then not having aircraft or instructors available during a reasonable time frame.

My local club, twice now, has rebuffed my attempt to join, saying in so many words, that they had enough young people on their list who're interested in the club, that they didn't have the resources to devote to an old fart like me, who they didn't know. They didn't even say they'd keep me in mind or anything. They just turned down my application to join. --I wonder if it'd make a difference if I had nicer legs?...

BJC

HBA Supporter
It seems to me to be very difficult for someone like me to get an add-on glider rating. I looked at schools in Nevada and California, as well as my local soaring club.

The schools had poor reviews. Neither answered their phone and took a long time to respond inquiries via their contact info. I even had someone PM me on another forum to say I should not give any money to one of the schools, because they had a history of taking money and then not having aircraft or instructors available during a reasonable time frame.

My local club, twice now, has rebuffed my attempt to join, saying in so many words, that they had enough young people on their list who're interested in the club, that they didn't have the resources to devote to an old fart like me, who they didn't know. They didn't even say they'd keep me in mind or anything. They just turned down my application to join. --I wonder if it'd make a difference if I had nicer legs?...
And people wonder why there aren’t more pilots.

BJC

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Estrella South West of Phoenix. Has 2-33s I believe. Get a light sport endorsement then go for the commercial check ride.

Call SSA for other comments. Look to the back of "Soaring" for completions.

gtae07

If you can get to Florida, Seminole Lake will gladly do add-on ratings, and they're a commercial operation so you can fly all week and not just on weekends. I just did mine a week ago. Not great soaring conditions when we were flying (early spring, somewhat poor weather) but you can knock the rating itself out pretty quick.

Unfortunately it'll probably be a few months before I'm able to line up with a club and actually start flying regularly.

WonderousMountain

Might try here: