• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Sailplane Pilot Design Sickness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

I decided to start this thread after Autoreply started to exhibit symptoms in another thread.

Hi, my name is Monty and I'm a recovering SPDS sufferer

symptoms:

1. irrational induced drag phobia

2. complete L over D derangement

3. severe laminar flow dependency

4. fixation on Parsons bodies and interference drag

5. abnormal affinity for pressure distribution plots.

6. Irrational fixation on efficiency numbers.

7. Sufferers may join extreme composite material cults seeking laminar nirvana.

If you suspect someone may be a laminar-haulic some of the warning sings:

Do they own a profilometer?

Do they have a copy of illicit books such as Bruce Carmichael's seditious text?

Do they hoard plots of exotic airfoils?

Do they have a condescending and dismissive attitude towards all "imperfect" aircraft?

If so.....this person may require an intervention.

What to do?

Immediately take this person for an all out-balls to the wall-aerobatic ride in Harmon Rocket. Fly the airplane to the limits of the envelope. :ban:

Let them fly it also.

Then put them back in their perfect aircraft that runs on three horsepower.

Repeat as necessary.

Note: in severe cases long technical discussions may be required.

If discussion fails.....shock therapy may be the only answer!:roll:

Back