• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Safest most reliable way to operate a 2 stroke?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayKoit

Hi All,

I've been reading a few threads here about two stroke reliability, and have heard different views on their operation, maintenance, safety, reliability, etc. And although the two aircraft I'm looking at have FWF kits for the 912, they also offer them for the Rotax 582, Simonini Victor, and Hirth 3503, and I just can't get around the 7-10K I'd save by going two stroke (I'd save even more if I buy a zero timed 582 from Rotax Rick). I know it's possible to have hundreds of worry free flight hours behind a 2 stroke, so I'd like to hear from some 2 stroke owners who have successfully flown for hundreds of hours on their engines:

- What is the safest, most reliable way to operate a 2 stroke aircraft engine, day to day, week to week, and year to year for every flight?

- Do you premix or inject?

- What are your maintenance and overhaul schedules regardless of what the manufacturer says?

- Warm up and cool down methods?

- Type of fuel?

- Best way to avoid cold seizure -- or ANY type of seizure?

- Does throttling back in cruise make a difference?

- Anything else I'm missing?

I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!

Back