RX8 Engine build

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MolsonB

After a few months of research and preping, I'm start to build the block of the engine this weekend. Came out of an 2008 automatic with 108k (km).

Iron plates have been lapped and re-nitrided by Chips Motorsports
Brand new rotor housings with p-ports welded in by Cimarron
Overhaul kit with seals and o-rings by Rotary Aviation
Devcon side intake ports
New bearings
E-shaft weber jets
rx7 rear oil psi regulator

This weekend I'll put the block together. All the measurements have been recorded and logged. The only 'gotcha' was which rotor is front. I assumed the S1 & S2 markings at first, but after cleaning the rotors I saw the FB and RB markings on the faces. After a little quick research, the S1 & S2 are assembly line markings and not which one is front and back.

Attachments

Peterson

So are you going with peripheral intake and side exhaust? Would like to see what kind of results that produces.

MolsonB

Yes P-port intake that were drilled and 2" pipe welded in. The welds have been cleaned and smoothed down from when the picture was taken above. Side throttle will bolt up to the p-ports (which Cimarron sells). With side exhaust. I think that's the best of both worlds. The block will absorb more heat which we can cool a lot easier in the air (then in a car), and the exhaust temp EGT's should be lower with that.

I'm just trying to find out what clearance is for the side seals. With the Rotary Aviation kit, you have to grind them down to fit.