RW19 Ragwing Stork.....

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Not much to report right now but I'm slowly getting back to work on the RW19 Stork....slowly but surely.

Put in the 2 vertical members/braces that run from the fuselage sides to the rear spar carrythrough.
20210531_205849.jpg

There are issues.....
1. These braces are not shown on the plans but are shown in the construction video.
2. The braces/members are 3/4 × 3/4 and the spar carrythrough is originally 3/4 × 3/4 but it gets laminted with 1/8" ply on both sides which now makes it 1" thick.
3. The gussets that go on the spar carrythrough joint ,front & back, won't set flush because of the difference in thickness.......

May have to add a bit to the braces/members to increase the thickness at the gusset attach point.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
While going through the construction videos & plans.....I found a few cross members for the rear seat that were omitted from the plans.
Will work on that issue in the next few days.

Tonight I started adding the gussets to the vertical members......
I will trim them up in a few days when the T88 has cured......
20210601_202736.jpg
20210601_202730.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I had a few minutes to myself last night so I ducked into the shop.
Got the left side gussets trimmed down and sanded a bit......they look a little better now.
Still need to get the right side though.
20210602_213055.jpg

So,I've been thinking about how to fix the gap that will be on the gusset for the spar carrythrough and the vertical brace/member.....
Here's my solution :
20210602_213125.jpg
See those gussets and the shims........most of you will already guess what my resolution to the problem is so I won't spell it out.
I will post pics of the finished product though........if it works......lol

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Just a couple of quick pics........

The plans didn't show the cross members that make up the seat....surprise,surprise.....construction vids to the rescue once again.
Problem is....I'm short on 3/4 × 3/4 wood and I'm 1 piece short out of the 3 needed.
So,not wanting to wait for an order from ACS...I made my own out of the left over 1/8 × 1 strips that were laminated to make the control surfaces.
A little T88,some clamps and then a little work with my planer & table saw.........whoomp there it is.....lol
It's good enough to work for the upper seat support....
20210606_193114.jpg

I also started fixing an issue with the spar carrythrough & vertical members/braces difference in thickness.
They look like poo-poo right now but will clean up nicely and fix the problem when finished.
20210606_212654.jpg

I also started adding the fuselage gussets.....
They're not pretty at this point but they will clean up nicely too.....
20210606_212608.jpg

More in a few days......

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Thought you guys might want to see a few pics of the aircraft that came to fly some aerobatics at Breckenridge County this past Sunday.
Three of the guys came from the Nashville area and the gentleman flying the Christian Eagle is local.
The Citabria belongs to the son of the owner of our airport 70KY.
Charlie literally wears the plane and is a natural when it comes to aerobatics.......and he's a great guy that I'm proud to call my friend.

20210605_144205.jpg
20210605_143702.jpg
20210605_144812.jpg
20210605_144823.jpg
20210605_144908.jpg
20210605_145115.jpg20210605_142658.jpg

And here's the jackass that doesn't know how to check a NOTAM and busted the box....
20210605_150009.jpg

The gentleman flying the Eagle followed Charlie back to our strip and I snapped a pic of his plane setting next to an RV that flies up every few weeks so he can take his mother to lunch.
Nice guy and his mother is a wonderful lady...
20210605_172036.jpg

That's all for now....

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Didn't have much time tonight but I got a few things done......

Started blending in the fuselage gussets to smooth them out.
20210611_204838.jpg

The spar carrythrough vertical braces have the gussets glued on front & back now.
Will blend them in to the spar carrythrough a bit when the T88 has cured.
I will also cut the extra length off of the shims under the gussets when the T88 has cured.
Now you see how I solved the thickness issue between the spar carrythrough and the vertical braces......I used shims.
Not sure that was the best resolution but that's the route that I took......
20210611_204819.jpg

Kevin

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
With my check ride being in July and the Annual on the Tomahawk running out at the end of June........I didn't want to be down to the wire fixing issues with the plane and have the check ride date closing in...so we pulled it in early.
20210612_162848.jpg

Last weekend the vacuum pump decided to give up the ghost.........and today I figured out why.
I've seen that issue before..........now it's my issue.
Easy fix......
20210612_162707.jpg
20210612_162345.jpg

Not sure why they call it Safety Wire......because it's not very safe.
But,it's merely a flesh wound governor.......I'll live to fight another day.....hell,my cat scratches harder than that.....lol
20210612_162737.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I've been contemplating on whether or not to make this post and I've decided to just go for it.....
I'm sure I'll catch a little flack ......but it's going to be from the ones with the guilty conscience so it's no biggie.

I remember,once upon a time,when being involved with aviation was something to be extremely proud of.....it was a close brotherhood and there was a special bond between everyone.
What the hell happened to that ???!!!!
Now days.....you've got flat out liars & theives mixed into the once prestigious fraternity of aviators.
What the hell is wrong with people and where did their self-respect go.......???

Am I the bad guy for thinking that we need to go back to the old ways of being very discriminating towards those allowed into the club......in order to keep the riff-raff out ???

Asking for a friend.....................

Kevin

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
So I made a trip to the airport today to do a few things to the Tomahawk......mission accomplished.
Now we wait on parts........

Got home and did some maintenance on the zero turn and cut the grass before the storm moved in........
I keep my 4 acres looking like a golf course.
And it seriously pisses me off to have a few moles tearing my yard up this year...they are destructive little *%#÷^% 's.....!!!!!
Not sure what Burt Gummers problem is....but I get plenty of penetration with double 00 buck and a full choke !!!
Took his head clean off at about 30 yards.
Not quite as fun as fishing.....but more productive.
20210613_210925.jpg

Well,after that fun,I started setting the seat crossmembers .....
20210606_212552.jpg,

Kevin

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I really don't know how to begin with the next 2 posts to my build log so overlook my scribbling if I ramble a bit.
And also overlook anything that I might say that may seem malicious because I really don't want it to come off that way.
When given the choice of good & bad news most people choose to hear the bad news first.
So,with that in mind,my first post will be the bad stuff......

My life has been filled with picking up the pieces and doing damage control for stupid s**t that other people do........not s**t that I've done......always s**t that other people have done and I have to deal with !!!

Well,my checkride is scheduled for July 13th and I'm feeling pretty confident in my knowledge and my abilities to safely fly my Tomahawk.......I love that plane btw.
All the paperwork is in order.
The transponder has been checked and it passed.
I got it pulled in early for the Annual,parts are sitting on the plane ready to install and I would have been flying this weekend.

Then........along comes the F*ck You Fairy !!!!!!!!

The gentleman that hangars next to me decided to pull his Trike up to the main hangar,where my plane is setting inside torn apart for Annual,to put some air in his tires.
Well,when he was leaving.....he went full throttle and lost control driving right into the main hangar wiping out my Tomahawk.
He hit the tail so hard that it spun the Tomahawk around,while setting firmly on all 3 wheels, and my plane launched a 300 pound toolbox across the shop with the left wing like it was nothing.
He hit my plane at full throttle.....
Before everyone thinks I'm a d*ck......he's alright and that was truly my only concern.
I'm not upset with him,accidents happen,but his timing couldn't have been any worse.
HE'S ALRIGHT......GET OFF MY *SS !!!! LOL

So.....called the insurance company this morning and the adjuster should be getting with me soon.....hopefully.

In the meantime.......one of the guys has offered his Cherokee 140 for me to use for my checkride.
Not much time to get acquainted with a new aircraft but it has to happen.
Long days of hard work ahead for me.

The damage to the Traumahawk........
Both elevators
Rudder
Horizontal stab
Vertical stab
Rear of fuselage
Left wing
Left flap
Right wing.....small dent on top
Engine cowling
Etc......

It doesn't look that bad but with the value of the plane and the cost to repair the damage,particularly with the T-tail and the life limit spars in the wings....I'm figuring that it's probably going to be a write off......but that will be up to the adjuster to determine.

Some pics.......

20210617_191016.jpg

20210617_192212.jpg
20210617_192409.jpg20210617_192438.jpg20210617_192502.jpg20210617_192552.jpg20210617_192643.jpg

Kevin

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I know I said 2 posts but I'm going to throw a bonus post up.......

Ive said it before but I think the point deserves repeating.....
I know everyone likes to just read about the actual build of a project but I think letting others that are struggling with their own build see that everyone has obstacles to overcome in every day life may be encouraged to soldier on and make progress knowing that they are not alone......

Keep the faith and keep moving forward......

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Just going to throw a quick update with a little info on here tonight........

1. My checkride.......
Checkride was scheduled for Tuesday 13th.....it was called off due to weather.
Rescheduled for Wednesday 14th......it was called off due to weather.
The DPE was leaving the night of Wednesday 14th to go on vacation.
Checkride rescheduled for Monday August 9th.

Tomahawk gets totaled...the Cherokee 140 that I borrowed and was flying in preparation for my checkride fell through after a dispute between the owner & the previous owner who decided to go at each other,long story there,.......friend let me borrow his 172 and I've been flying it ,only to have the weather shut me out.
Geeze.....is this ever going to happen ???!!!

2. When I got home today after work I had a few surprises waiting for me......
My pass for the week at Oshkosk and my check for the insurance settlement on the Tomahawk.
So.....I guess I'm going to be plane shopping a bit while at Oshkosh.
20210715_223806.jpg

3. I have been working a little on the Stork...I have pics to prove it.
Several odd things about building a Stork......
A. Roger designed the plane
B. Chris drew out the plans
C. Many areas of construction were left out of the plans
D. The construction videos show things that were left out of the plans but were filmed while Roger built the prototype RW19 Stork which differs from the plane that was offered in kit & plan form.
So many areas are open to interpretation & left for the builder to figure out.

Here's an area that I kinda did my own thing.
The plans call for internal gussets on the vertical members only..because the horizontal members will be captured by the outside ply on the fuselage once it is in place.
I decided to take the 1 - 2 lb weight penalty and gusset the horizontal members internally as well.
So the horizontal members will have gussets on both sides when finished.
I'm actually going to use my Stork to visit some pretty gnarly fields so hopefully this will add a bit of strength in the fuselage.
But it could be 6 of 1 - half dozen of the other sorta deal......strength in the fuselage makes something else give way.
Time will tell......

You can see the vertical & horizontal gussets...
20210704_223206.jpg

I have 3 more gussets to install and then the ply for the seat will go in.
Once that is done....the fuselage side ply will be going on..

Kevin

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
This post isn't exactly Stork related but it's builder related so I'm going to throw it on here.

After many years of wanting to attend Oshkosh I finally made it this year.
I'm not going to lie....while I was impressed with the turnout...I was also disappointed as well.
1. All of the planes that I specifically wanted to see in person...not a single one attended.
2. The product vendors acted like they could care less if you spent money with them and it was impossible to get them off their phones long enough to offer anything resembling customer service.
One exception here....Warp Drive Props was welcoming and they provided great information.
I made the decision to buy my prop from them over a year ago.....they set that decision in concrete when speaking with them.....they will get my money when it's time for the prop.
3. Tried to find anyone from the HBA Forum but had no idea who anyone was.
It would be nice to have a sign at the meeting spot so members could introduce themselves.

So.......on to new business.

1. My checkride yesterday was shut down due to weather for the 3rd time.
Rescheduled and found out that the aircraft isn't going to be available for the new date.
Currently in the middle of working out scheduling issues.

2. I posted that my Tomahawk was totaled by another flier at the airport and I've been searching for a replacement.
While at Oshkosh,I was hoping to find a Starduster Too for sale but no luck.
I did find the EAA display aircraft though.
Yep....that's my ugly mug in front of it....lol
20210727_135655.jpg

I've been searching for a Starduster for the past month but haven't had much luck.....until :
I saw an ad on Barnstormers for a Starduster Too that belongs to a good friend of mine.
I thought he had already sold the plane last year but was mistaken.
Long story short..........I am the new owner of a Starduster Too after a hand shake last night.
20210809_182529.jpg
20210809_190359.jpg

Kevin