RW19 Ragwing Stork.....

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Sunday.........extreme wind,wind,wind !!!!
No flying.....ugh !!!
Sooooo.......I still made good use of my time by picking up a few saws and various items needed for the Stork build.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
While I'm sure that many Forum members prefer to just see 100% building information in the Build Logs....as I said before,I think everything the builder shares is valuable to the grand scheme of things and the big picture for that individual.
The good,the bad,the triumphs, the defeats....etc.
It shows that every single one of us is human and that we have personal lives.
I hope that someone reading my Build Log understands that there will be good times and bad times in their aircraft build & personal lives and it pushes them to overcome obstacles to reach their goal.
Even though my life is tedious & mundane from day to day.....there is still those little moments in life that make the hard work worth it......and I just shared a few of those good moments with you.

No matter what...have fun in aviation ,because if it seems like a job then why do it ?!

I hope I didn't go too far off track from the Stork build for everyone and I promise that the next entry to the Build Log will be pertaining to Stork construction.....

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Promises,promises......
I keep my promises so here's the next installment in the Stork build and it shows actual work.

Laying out the engine mount to see where everything goes....
20201114_145814.jpg

Cutting all of the needed brackets & tubes......
All of the 30° angles that get cut in the 10 u-channel brackets will be done in a few days.
20201114_163349.jpg

Drilling the holes in the aluminum angle.....
20201114_204621.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I forgot to take pics after I added the last of the fuselage crossmembers and a few diagonals yesterday........so you get pics of the fuselage under the tent.
Just like last year when the temperature fell....plastic tent and a small heater blowing in keeps the fuselage nice and warm until the T-88 cures.
20201115_121042.jpg
20201115_121049.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Finally received my order of wood from ACS that will finish up all the fuse diagonals and the verticals......had some damage though.
20201123_221716.jpg
20201123_221613.jpg
20201123_221532.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
With the thought of possibly having a week out of work for the upcoming holidays I have several things to prepare so my time can be used wisely.

I have cut the upper & lower ply for the top & bottom of the tailpost.
Inside the structure everything fits perfectly....outside is overhung.
Once the glue is dry.....I will run my finish router with a flush cut bit to trim it flush with the longerons.
20201213_182448.jpg
20201213_182453.jpg

The gussets for the fuse & firewall have been cut....
20201213_182541.jpg

The ply has been added to the rear spar carrythrough....once dry,in 3 days, it will be trimmed to shape.
20201214_225356.jpg

These items will be glued to the fuselage some time this week in preparation of adding the fuselage ply sides.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Once all of the items have been glued to the fuselage this week...I will add the fuselage ply to the sides.
In preparation for this...I've traced the fuselage onto the plywood so I will know where to staple.
It's hard to see but the fuselage frame is outlined on all sides of the ply.
20201212_181711.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
After talking with Pops over the summer he convinced me to use a linear actuator for elevator trim.
I ordered the actuator but received a phone call saying that the actuator wasn't available due to some failures that were caused by bad gears.
I kept the order active and told them to ship it whenever they got the new units ready to go.
Well,I finally received my actuator.....
Man,this thing is small,strong and neat as hell....can't wait to get the trim tab cut into the elevator and get everything mounted up.
20201211_215023.jpg

Thanks for the assist with this Pops...

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Not a lot of pics to add this time but I have been making a bit of progress.....

The clamps have been pulled from the tail blocks and I've sanded them smooth to the fuselage.
The ply crossmember on the front of the bottom tail block is just setting there...it has not been glued yet.
I also have a ply piece to add to the front of the top tail block and also a ply piece to add to the tail junction of the fuselage sides.
Eventually....both sides of the tail section will be ply covered to box the entire assembly in.
But for the time being....I'm leaving this area open until I get the stab mounts and tail wheel mounts finished up.
20201223_203820.jpg

The rear spar carrythrough has been sanded flush to the fuselage....
Sorry for the bad pic....I was pulling the plastic tent off the fuselage after it had been warmed for 3 days to cure the T-88.
20201223_204426.jpg

And the firewall gussets have been sanded......
20201223_204444.jpg

The vertical stab & rudder are hinged together now.
I still need to add the ply strips & gussets to each.
I also need to cut the slot out of the rudder that will allow clearance for the elevator.
Then I will route & sand the whole assembly giving it a nice roll over on the edges.
And the holes for the vertical stab mounts have been drilled but aren't visible in the pic.
20201225_171419.jpg

There are several other things that I will add pics for in the next few days.....
1. Was given a tail wheel which should work perfect.
2. I've been cutting & framing the elevator trim tab into the elevator.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
A little bit of progress today.....

I have the trim tab hinged & cut loose from the elevator now.
Yes,those screws are temporary and will be replaced with AN hardware when the time comes.
Naturally,the ply still needs to be added to everything,then I need to round everything off with the router and start sanding the whole mess to make it look like something preventable.
20210101_180048.jpg

I have the linear actuator to operate the trim tab but I'm still figuring out how to mount it and keep it hidden.
20201211_214932.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I have an idea about changing the mounting system on the horizontal stabilizer.
I have some blocks glued to the center of the stabilizer and they are currently drying.
Once they are dry and I can place the stab on the fuselage again I will post pics of the mounting system that I'm going to try.
20210101_180117.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
So it was time to find parts & supplies...

I'm changing the gear legs from the original design.
The motorcycle forks used on the original are very heavy.
So....I'm opting for the original 4130 tubing but it will be attached to a shock and then mounted to the fuselage with the brackets I ordered.
20210101_180131.jpg
20210101_180200.jpg

Hopefully,I'm going to save a tad bit of weight.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Another problem solved.....maybe.
I'm at the point that I need to add the fuselage ply to the sides.
Well,that's a "sorta" big job for just one person.....a lot of area to glue all at once.
So I traced the fuselage outline on the ply to help know where to apply glue and where to staple....I've already posted pics of that.
But then there was the issue of mixing and applying the glue quickly.
And my idea may work or it may not...we will see.
While walking through the Family Dollar a few days ago I spotted these,for well,$1 each :
20210101_180435.jpg

I'm thinking that I can use one per side.
Mix the T88 and pour it into a bottle and then use the bottle to apply the T88 to the fuselage & ply.
Once the T88 is applied I can use my brushes to spread the glue evenly on the pieces.

Will let you know how it works once I get to that point......

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
A couple of things to report......
1. Switches have come in.
2. Elevator trim-tab assembly has been figured out...for the most part.

Switches :

These will be used for my master switches.
I'm planning on running dual side by side switches like in my Tomahawk.
There is a green LED to show power on.
20210105_202758.jpg

Two of these will be used for the mag switches.
Green LED to show power again.
Green light and mags are hot...no light and the mag is dead.
20210105_202834.jpg

Elevator trim-tab rocker switch....
20210105_202704.jpg

Now...on to the difficult stuff.
The elevator trim-tab assembly has been perplexing me a bit.
Pops pointed me in the direction of a linear actuator and I finally received it after a 6 month wait due to the company holding up production due to bad gears....but I finally have it and that's all that matters.
It agitates me when I know what I want to do but then I have to stress out with finding parts or fabricating my own parts.
So I cheated a little and fell back to the days of rc.
I used pushrods from a traxxas truck and control horn & hardware from a plane.
I considered the whole metal vs nylon debate carefully while picking the hardware and decided on nylon.
With all the items in hand and comparing them....the nylon is actually stronger than the metal.
I could easily bend the metal control horns and clevices while the nylon couldn't be bent at all....it's tough stuff.
The pic will represent the idea but not the final itaration of the completed assembly...I still have to deal with mounting the actuator and distances for the pushrods & control horn.
My idea is to keep everything light and hidden inside of the elevator as much as possible.
The only items that will be visible once I'm done will be the pushrods & control horn.
I'll post both pics...right side up & inverted so you get an idea of how it will look coming out of the bottom of the elevator.
20210105_200323.jpg
20210105_200333.jpg

Kevin

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I know it's been a while since I've posted to my build log so I just wanted to post some info to let everyone know that I'm still working on the Stork.

I've been waiting to sheet the fuselage sides until the weather breaks and it turns warm for the duration.
The weather has been so unpredictable the past few months.....warm one minute then a cold snap moves in for a week or two,plus the continuous storms knocking the power out.
My fear is that I sheet the fuselage and then the weather turns cold again along with the storms knocking the power out .......and not having a way to keep the temp up for the glue to cure while the power is out.
I'm making arrangements to be able to keep the shop warm if the worst case scenario does happen.
So......within the next week or two I should be putting ply on the fuselage.

The winter hasn't been a total loss.....
1. I've been studying for the written test and I'm scheduled for 5-3-21.
2. I officially joined EAA and also bought my week at Oshkosh.
3. My next physical is scheduled for later this month.
4. I painted my gearbox and starter to match the engine.
20210227_201033.jpg
20210227_185344.jpg

Sooooo......I'm still working on the Stork and the progress reports will start rolling in shortly.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Not so much a progress report on the Stork but more of a report on the builder.......so everyone doesn't think that I've given up.

1. Last week I renewed my physical......

2. Today I passed my PPL written exam with an 85% score.
I'm a little disappointed with the score but I'll take it.
I knew from the beginning that particular airspace questions would be sacrificial.
I have no idea why airspace kicks my *ss.
I know the visibility & distances of each airspace without a problem......but the designations with the floors & ceilings on the sectional chart just confounds me for some reason.
Just me.......or does anyone else have that issue????????

Oh well,I live to fight another day.......

Kevin