Quantcast

RW19 Ragwing Stork.....

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I decided to play with my new laser level tonight and get the fuselage squared up so I can start fitting the rear crossmembers in a few days.
Had something interesting happen that took me a while to figure out.
The level has a fixed and free float/leveling setting on the head.
I originally set the level in the fixed head position and shot it down the forward top crossmembers that have already been installed and marked with a centerline.
This seemed fine as the line was crossing all of the centerline marks,however, the line was off by a good margin at the tail post.
I tried several times to position the level so I had a good light down the centerline marks but nothing I did would bring the line close at the tail.
I moved the level to the bottom crossmembers and shot the line again....same issue but now the reading at the tail post was off by a different measurement.
After thinking about the situation for a bit...I finally put the head in self leveling mode and then repositioned it on the centerline.......success.
I now had a straight line on the top & bottom crossmembers with a good position on the tailpost.
Not sure why this worked exactly other than the head of the laser may not lock straight or level when in the locked position.

The next update will show a little detail of the laser and the light show.....

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
While trying to figure out why I couldn't get a consistant reading with the laser in the beginning...I ran a piece of monofilament fishing line from front to back so I could eyeball the position of the tail as I moved it to center the line on the crossmembers.
Once I had the line centered on all the crossmembers I then had to figure out how to lock the tail in position and keep it from moving.
This took some thought and a few failed attempts.
While my final solution to keep the tail in position isn't pretty.....it worked quite well considering what I had on hand to work with.
I took the roller assembly off my extension stand and secured the stand to the table so it couldn't move.
Then I ran 2 screws through the holes in the stand and went right into the tail post.
I'm not real concerned with the hopes as they are small and this area is going to get a cap glued over it anyways.
Not pretty.....but it worked.
20200919_224002.jpg
20200919_223946.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I haven't made too much progress over the last few days but I did manage to get the tail blocks installed on the top & bottom of the fuselage.
There's a few interesting points on this....
1. Roger only used a 12' length on the tailpost blocks according to the plans.
I extended the pieces and used the whole bay that will be covered with ply to strengthen the area and give more surface area for the tail wheel attachment.
2. Notice the color difference between the darker piece,which has been seasoned for many years,and the lighter piece that came from A.C.S. recently......

20200928_201822.jpg20200928_201839.jpg

I also got a few crossmembers installed on the top & bottom.
A few more and it will be time to add the diagonals.....
Hopefully,I will start installing the diagonals this weekend.

20200928_201913.jpg20200928_201927.jpg20200928_201937.jpg

Kevin

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Not a whole lot to report but I did accomplish 3 things pertaining to the RW19 Stork this weekend....

1. Got all but 2 top crossmembers installed and will start on the diagonal members in a few days....you can see them laying in their positions waiting to be fitted and secured.
20201004_174023.jpg
20201004_174041.jpg
20201004_174051.jpg

2. Placed an order with Wicks Aircraft for all of the plywood needed for the Stork project.
That hurt,very much so bad....... $$$ !

3. With winter quickly approaching and the temps dropping... I have been giving some serious thought pertaining to the shop.
The full garage door has been my only entrance & exit for the shop since I built it 12 years ago.
While it has served me well, it's drawback is that I lose all of the heat in the shop when I open the door.
So,my solution was to cut a man door into the shop to keep the heat in from now on.
20201004_105042.jpg
20201004_142319.jpg20201004_114953.jpg

Kevin

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
So....I've been giving some thought to an issue that has been on my mind lately.
And that issue is.....what to include and what not to include on the build log.
I'm sure most people that look at the build logs just want to see 100% building and that is it.
Well...I've decided to include EVERYTHING on my log so that a perspective builder will see the complete picture of what it takes to build a plane.
There are 1000 little details that don't seem aircraft related but will ultimately have a place throughout a build.

Example........
I used Sunday to clean my shop out and to arrange items.
I now have more room to move around,store the plywood that has been ordered and I can now use the man door that was cut in last weekend.
Working on the shop doesn't seem too aircraft related but ultimately it will make my build more enjoyable and productive.
Still a work in progress.....it will improve weekly.
20201012_185512.jpg20201012_185431.jpg20201012_185419.jpg20201012_185407.jpg20201012_185401.jpg20201012_185351.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I've already mentioned that I placed my order with Wicks for all of the Stork plywood.....
Well....Saturday I also ordered all of the metal for the engine mount.
My original ordered hadn't shipped yet so I'm hoping everything will come in one shipment.

Unfortunately, Wicks didn't have the 1/4" 6061 aluminum plate needed for the mount.
Out of curiosity I jumped on Amazon just for sh*ts & giggles and low & behold....ordered Saturday and setting on my shop doorstep when I got home today.
20201012_184344.jpg20201012_184651.jpg20201012_184706.jpg

I'm not too crazy about the scratches on the face of the plate but it will be roughed up & painted anyways so I can live with it.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Almost forgot....
I received a call from the shipping company earlier today.
All of the plywood for the RW19 Stork build should arrive sometime tomorrow.

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
So....I'm a little disappointed right now.
I received the call yesterday stating that my plywood would be delivered today between 10am - 6pm with the driver calling me an hour before delivery.
With no phone call at 5:15 I decided to call the shipping company to find out where the driver was.
I was told by the shipping company that they had no record of a shipment for me.
So.....a quick call to Wicks and a short conversation with Keith had him on the phone with the shipper.
They did indeed have a shipment scheduled for me today but it wasn't loaded on the truck for some reason.

Here's my issue.........
1. I live an hour from my work but chose to have it delivered at work so I could use the forklift to unload the shipment to save the driver some grief since they never seem to have a lift gate or pallet jack.
I'm going out of my way to help them....
2. I planned my entire day around the delivery.
I had to reschedule clients and rearrange the work schedule of several employees so that I could stay at the shop today.
3. Why was I contacted for the delivery,then told they had no record of the shipment and then told that they did have the shipment but it was never loaded on the truck ???
Not very professional in my opinion....

MAYBE TOMORROW ????

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Well,tomorrow is now today and my plywood shipment arrived.....

A few things :
1. I wasn't at the shop to receive the shipment,because I was out in the field making up for yesterday,but my guys unloaded it for me.
They called me and relayed that the driver was a major d*ck because he had to wait about 5 minutes for them to free up the forklift,which they were using to move a slab onto the saw table at the time he showed up.
They told me that the pallet was standing vertical and he just slung it down to the trailer floor because he had a cob up his *ss about the wait.
I told them to go ahead and unload the pallet and I would inspect it when I returned to the shop.
2. When I returned to the shop I gave the shipment a quick inspection,without cutting it open, and put a call into Keith at Wicks.
I explained the condition of the pallet to him and told him I would relay any damage that I found to him.
Keith told me to let him know and he would take care of the issue if there was any damage.
Wicks is AWESOME...... !!!!

Here is the condition of the pallet after the shippers were through with it....

Somebody had walked all over the shipment....boot prints from top to bottom.
20201021_165535.jpg

4 out of 5 bottom boards of the pallet are broken....
20201021_165644.jpg

Mr.Christopher just screwed the pooch with this one......
We have always gone out of our way to unload him as quickly as possible so he can get back on the road and make it home at a decent hour every time he delivers to us.
Not to mention the fact that they always send him out with a trailer that is lacking a lift gate and we take mercy on him by freeing up the forklift,no matter what it's being used for at the moment,just to help him.
If Mr.Christopher doesn't have an apology, stating that he was having a bad day, for myself & the guys the next time he delivers.....I'm going to quickly remind him of how well he is treated at my shop by letting his b*tch *ss unload a few deliveries by hand.
You don't tug on Superman's cape,you don't spit into the wind,you don't pull the mask off the Ole Lone Ranger and you don't p*ss off the guys with the forklift......Enough Said on that issue !

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Remember when I said that I was going to post anything pertaining to this build log....well,here you go.
While this installment isn't directly related to building the Stork....it is aviation related and deserves to be shared.

Greg & Cora Koontz invite a particular small group of people to stay with them, outside of the business aspect,as friends.
A few of the guys at my home field and only a handfull of individuals from all over the place are invited to stay with them.
I've been lucky enough to be asked to join their close knit group a few years ago.......and I'm proud to say that I have never known finer people in my life and I love each one of them.
So,I'm going to post some pics of the weekend.....it's hard to pick which ones as I have so many.

Dennie & myself took his son's Decathlon for the trip....
20201023_080457.jpg
Me ......flying from the back seat....it's his plane after all....lol
20201023_082452.jpg
We made it to Greg & Cora's.....
20201023_112701.jpg
Kevin from our group made it in with Red Bird....
20201023_112418.jpg
Brad & Mike from our group made it in with Brad's Bonanza.....
20201023_112211.jpg

More to come......

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Some of the great people that I'm happy to call friends.......

The 3 Kevin's together again.....
From left to right......myself,Kevin from Tennessee and then Kevin from our group.
20201023_114504.jpg

Myself and Scott from Alaska....
Scott and I took Greg's Decathlon and flew some aerobatics.
We twisted,turned,spun,rolled,looped and flew inverted until we were worn out.
And we were both giggling our *sses off the whole time.
Boys and their toys....
20201024_190759.jpg

Scott & myself chasing Dennie around....trying to out due each other with maneuvers.
20201023_151120.jpg
20201023_151140.jpg

20201023_151358(0).jpg

Kevin

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Then the fun starts.........lol

Oddly enough....a camera flash seems to have the same effect on anyone that's been drinking....because they all react in the same manner.....lmao
20201024_233408.jpg
20201024_230304.jpg

Dennie........totally relaxed.....and being checked for a pulse on a regular basis...lol
20201023_223332.jpg

Setting around the fire....
20201023_193720.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
One of the things that I like about being the only person that doesn't drink is that I'm always elected the designated driver.
After the fun was over for the day and I had Cora's new Buick loaded up with all my "SPECIAL CHILDREN"...we left Greg's and headed out to the lake house at around 2 am.
Well,we took a slight detour when Scott &: myself decided to head into town to get something to eat.
If you've ever had a car full of drunks in a Huddle House,with about 9 cops inside,at 2:30 am.......then you've lived life to the fullest.
OMG......I will never forget that night...IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME !!! LMAO

Kevin

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Some random pics from the weekend....

Mark & Fred.....
20201024_172936.jpg

Brad,Dennie,Mike and Kevin from our group....
20201024_172923.jpg

Greg & Steven checking out the runway after an entire day of rain saturday.
Sadly.....no flying that day.
20201024_173547.jpg

Kevin from Tennessee and his wife Cat brought her pet chicken with them.
Since Cora hadn't fed us yet.....I named the chicken "Nugget" and it was just about added to the menu.
Nugget got a reprieve when Cora called us for dinner ........her chili & cornbread are delicious.
And then there's also the fact that Cat is an ex-marine and is one of the guys.
I would much rather shoot her than to go fist-to-cuffs with her....lol
20201023_164919.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Well,Sunday dawned on us and even though the rain had cleared out....the ceiling was too low for us to fly back to Kentucky.
Cora tossed me the key to her new Buick and told me to get everyone loaded up and just take her car.
She said to just being it back whenever we came back for the planes.......
Have I mentioned that I love these people and think the world of them ???

Here's proof that we made it home safely and Cora's new car was tucked away in one of our hangars.
Not a scratch on it ...on my watch.
20201025_212509.jpg

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
So........this past weekend,everyone loaded up in Cora's car friday and headed to Alabama to get the planes.
I stayed behind to knock the cross country portion off my PPL ......
20200411_170742.jpg

Pics of the TraumaHawk Saturday afternoon after completing my trip from Vine Grove to Owensboro to Bowling Green and then back to Vine Grove.

20200418_191208.jpg
20200418_191149.jpg

About 45 minutes after I landed...the guys started showing up from Alabama.
It was a very good day.......

Kevin