RV3

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Kevin N

I think I have the RV3 builder plans somewhere in my hoard. They are the early ones with fuselage fuel only. I think the OP has the right idea, small engine and light airframe.

TFF

The RV3 that use to be at my airport with the razor back canopy was the coolest. 0-235 is the right engine.

Pops

Log Member
I used to have a set of early RV-3 plans and loaned them out several years ago, need to ask about them and get them back.

Mcmark

Have a friend that has his 6A operating as LSA. With a 360 and few mods he did give up the second seat to satisfy his DAR. Also placarded for cruise ala Carbon Cub.

BJC

HBA Supporter
A neighbor is building an RV-9 to meet LSA criteria. Not sure which engine he will use.

Previously, he built an RV-12 and flew it for a couple of years before selling it.

BJC

TFF

Of the regular RVs the 9 is closest to being the right shape, but it does have a normal empty weight of about 1050 lbs and CAFE got a gross weight clean stall of 58. At 1320 lb a 9 might hit the stall, but built super stripped at best you will have a useful load of 400lbs probably less. Single seat airplane. A RV3 with maybe the same span ratio to fuselage length as the 9 would get it all done. True LSA, no placards, no fishiness.

Toobuilder

Log Member
How about build a 4 as a single seat with a good size trunk? Just think of the fuel you could tanker; intercontinental?? Relief tube?
Thats essentially what Bruce Bohannon's RV/Rocket hybrid Flyin Tiger is. Front pit is for ADI tanks, cargo, etc.