RV3 wings on Sonerai2?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aviacs

What books (Aero dynamics) should i read to consider putting RV3 wings on an S2?
Possible advantages: stronger spar, integral tanks in wings, flaps, Hoerner tips.

Wings are practically the same size, Hoerner tips increase both actual and effective span, possibly reduce stall/landing speed on S2 also considering the flaps?

RV3 Hoerner tips will actually fit S2 wings, but that changes loads on spar.

Sonerai 2 airfoil is "modified" NACA 64A212 laminar
RV3 wing is NACA 23012

I have S2 that was flying 20+ years in Canada as well as both sets of wings described.
I want the front seat, at least for baggage not to mentions that on SS I cannot afford to acquire the rest of an RV and associated engine, and feed it. Vague part of the consideration is getting the S2 which was Canadian and hence deregistered, re-registered in US as Experimental (IOW, do enough changes to pass) I also need to raise turtledeck or raise canopy and install roll-over protection.

Comments welcome on wing Q, and on least changes to re-register in Experimental Category.

Thanks!
smt

Victor Bravo

IMHO you need to ask a qualified aerodynamicist to assess whether there is a significant change in the pitching moment of the airfoil, among other things. With and without flap deflection, which is significant on the RV wings.

Increased pitching moment will most likely mean you need a larger or different tail.

TFF

My opinion is mating them up would be a big mess. The airfoils are not going to matter as much as how much you will have to cut up the fuselage to make work. Unless there is some freak coincidence, it would be a mess. My spell check was trying to give me cow incident. It would be a cow incident to mate them.

Aviacs

Aviacs, I'm curious, why do you want to put the RV-3 wings on the Sonerai?
Explained in opening paragraph.
Bonus: to annoy the purists. :^)

I'd rather just do enough mods to get the Sonerai 2 registered Experimental in US.
(As already stated above): also have to raise canopy height & turtle deck (common S2 adaptation for anyone over aprox 5-10") ; or fit new/taller canopy + add roll-over protection. I'd like to add Hoerner tips to S2 wings, but that possibly requires additional spar mods (on top of the factory S mod) or derate ultimate load (G x gross).

If turtledeck is raised, Empennage, at least vertical stab will need increased in height(area), anyway. (again, common S2 adaptation) RV3 wings already have spars to take the stress including Hoerner tips. Spar location, size, etc, is conveniently close to S2 wing location. It requires engineering to compare aerodynamic forces including the pitching from flap deployment; hence my note about what books? I want to bone up on the possibilities while still a ways from doing any work and before annoying my designated aerodynamicist. IOW, I want to understand where any/if any advantages accrue in order to make economic decisions about proceeding. The aerodynamicist should not have to figure out if it is a good idea, only how to effect it safely.

smt

Aviacs

Great!
I ordered both, and then a couple on aircraft structures while browsing.
Thanks for the recommendations!

smt