RV-4 , N1191X

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bob Olds

We completed our RV-4 in April.2002 and started flight testing.
We used a 150 HP lycoming based engine with inverted oil system and Bendix PS-5C carb. for inverted fuel system. In the aerobatic tests the systems performed flawlessly.
We have a Paceseter wood prop. It is day/night VFR.
Nothing special , just a sound FUN airplane.
We fly from our 1100 foot grass strip on our farm in Western Arkansas , which ends in the back yard between house and hangar.
Fun ! Fun !

Flying formation with Aeronca Chief photo plane

Last edited:

Jman

Site Developer
I really like your paint scheme Bob. Did you do it yourself? All it needs is a couple of 500 lb old style tank buster bombs slung under the wing and a few Axis tanks to drop em on! ;)

Great Job!

Jake

Jman

Site Developer
Hey Bob! I was just thumbing through some older issues of Sport aviation and low and behold there was your pretty aircraft in the November 2002 completions area. You’re famous :D ! And for good reason. That is one nice looking airplane you built for yourself. Thanks again for sharing it here.

Jake

Bob Olds

RV 4 , N1191X

Thanks Jake ;
The kind words make my hat fit too tight ! Yes I painted it , even before assembly. It is a 100 foot paint job ( Looks Ok from that far ).
I have done better painting , but that was long years ago.
A close friend had a P-51 when I was building our first RV-4 and it had a blue glare reduction paint on the nose . Well ; I've always been a frustrated fighter pilot , so I decided to put the blue on the nose. Of course that led to a little more here anf there.
I'll try a pic of our first RV-4 alongside the P-51.
The paint job on the first one came out of my head somewhere. It took a lot of math to get the arcs done right in the changing width stripes.
Hope the pic works.
The picture of RV-4 & P-51 wound up in " Photos" section.

Last edited:
Group Builder