Rutan lecture

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I only got to watch the first part tonight. I'm definitely going to have to watch the rest this weekend. Thanks for posting this!

narfi

Log Member
Great lecture.

Sometimes I wonder if it's weird to have a hero I look up to.
But hearing your hero talk about his heroes makes it seem ok......
He has some good points about child rearing, risk aversion, and management styles.

His mindset towards innovation is in direct contrast to much of what I have seen here on this forum over the last few years. (Discussion of the Boeing competition comes to mind)

I'm not personally wired that way, I am not willing to take huge risks or leaps of faith, I do love to dream though and I am glad there are still people like him around willing to push boundaries and make dreams reality.

I haven't read much lately about his new amphibian, anyone know what's going on with it?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Always wondered where B. Rutan would have been without John Roncz ?
Met Dick Rutan one time at OSH and I liked him, seen like a nice average man, but far from average.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
Always wondered where B. Rutan would have been without John Roncz ?
Since John only designed a few airfoils for Burt, and Burt designed a zillion planes, just about in the same place. That takes nothing away from Roncz who is a great designer in his own right, but Roncz didn't make Rutan.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Since John only designed a few airfoils for Burt, and Burt designed a zillion planes, just about in the same place. That takes nothing away from Roncz who is a great designer in his own right, but Roncz didn't make Rutan.
For those interested in John’s participation in Burt’s designs: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9eEwyVrAps As you listen, you will hear a crowd roar from the adjacent pavilion, where Burt was giving a talk at the same time. Neither’s ego has limits.

BJC

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
May not of made Burt, but John was there for the big problems when it meant a lot. Without John's brains, Burt couldn't have been as successful . Have to admit Burt is the pitchman that John isn't. If I could get a brain transplant, think I'll take Johns thank you, besides that, my head isn't big enough for the ego of the other.

PiperCruisin

Big egos seem to be common in the industry. Maybe you need some to think you can design and build aircraft. I think they are less difficult than some make them out to be, but there is a lot of detail work that must be done. Rarely does anyone do it by themselves unless it is a substantial copy of previous work.

Rutan and Roncz are super smart and talented, but there was also a small army of smart people supporting them (more Rutan than Roncz maybe). I got to meet a lot of them and felt like the dunce in the class.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Ego is not exactly uncommon in aviation overall. Pilots, airplane designers, mechanics, aviation writers, you name it. The funny tihng to me is that some of the big achievers in aviation have laughably big egos, and then there are other big achievers with little or no ego at all. Ego and self-confidence and ability and achievement and talent are all connected differently in different people. I've had the privilege of meeting Skip Holm, and...

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Someone on HBA posted something about how Rutan's talk should make people think twice about sarcastic comments made regarding the GoFly competition. i will have to admit that this is probably correct in the context of Rutan's propensity to do "impossible" things.

My snarky comments about GoFly were not meant to sound like "Hey you kids get off my runway!", but in defense of my commenta and several others' I still think that Boeing's rules should have rewarded significant advancements as well as deus ex machina miracles.

radfordc

I thought it interesting when he said that if less than 50% of people thought the project impossible it wasn't worth doing.

RonL

Someone on HBA posted something about how Rutan's talk should make people think twice about sarcastic comments made regarding the GoFly competition. i will have to admit that this is probably correct in the context of Rutan's propensity to do "impossible" things.

My snarky comments about GoFly were not meant to sound like "Hey you kids get off my runway!", but in defense of my commenta and several others' I still think that Boeing's rules should have rewarded significant advancements as well as deus ex machina miracles.
I am under the impression that, $100,000.00 for disruptive advancement of the state of the art, (number 4) is your significant advancement reward :)

pictsidhe

I've been pretty scathing of the gofly thing myslef. I'm not going to say that Boeing has set an impossible target. But it's a very difficult one.
What I don't like is the way they seem to have pitched it at people who don't really know what they're doing.

radfordc

Does this help?

"I believe that research, that you can claim that you're doing research only if half of the people, and I'm talking about half of the experts, believe that the goal is impossible."
Burt Rutan