• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rutan Defiant Project FS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I just have gotten word that Brian Martinez' Defiant project is for sale. Brian sadly passed away, and his wife is trying to find the right home for it. Brian was a USAF Flight Test Engineer at Edwards and a long-standing member of EAA Chapter 1000.

Nothing. Considering that the Defiant is a unique aircraft and appeals to a unique demographic within aviaiton, anyone who is serious about this already knows enough to realize the Defiant is not for everyone... but it's a capable and historically significant aircraft.

Brian built and flew a Q-200 Quickie, and was a technical counselor at that EAA chapter. This is a truly talented bunch of airplane people, most of whom are in the flight test business down the street at KEDW.

Here is the only info I got so far, which was an e-mail originally sent to the Chapter 1000 newsletter editor, which he forwarded to others including me:

Russ -

You may have heard that Brian died suddenly in April. (edit)

I was wondering if you could reach out to the membership and see if anyone is willing to buy the project. He was pretty close to completing, he had the instrument panel in and (mostly) hooked up, he had new propellers, and both engines. You can come over and see exactly the progress if you like. One of Brian's close friends here is going to do an assessment of the value of the parts if I have to sell it bit by bit. I would really like it to be finished.

Thank you
Arlene Martinez
(Area Code for Rosamond, CA)- 4o6-91o7

Last edited:
Back