Rutan Defiant Project FS

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

I just have gotten word that Brian Martinez' Defiant project is for sale. Brian sadly passed away, and his wife is trying to find the right home for it. Brian was a USAF Flight Test Engineer at Edwards and a long-standing member of EAA Chapter 1000.

Nothing. Considering that the Defiant is a unique aircraft and appeals to a unique demographic within aviaiton, anyone who is serious about this already knows enough to realize the Defiant is not for everyone... but it's a capable and historically significant aircraft.

Brian built and flew a Q-200 Quickie, and was a technical counselor at that EAA chapter. This is a truly talented bunch of airplane people, most of whom are in the flight test business down the street at KEDW.

Here is the only info I got so far, which was an e-mail originally sent to the Chapter 1000 newsletter editor, which he forwarded to others including me:

Russ -

You may have heard that Brian died suddenly in April. (edit)

I was wondering if you could reach out to the membership and see if anyone is willing to buy the project. He was pretty close to completing, he had the instrument panel in and (mostly) hooked up, he had new propellers, and both engines. You can come over and see exactly the progress if you like. One of Brian's close friends here is going to do an assessment of the value of the parts if I have to sell it bit by bit. I would really like it to be finished.

Thank you
Arlene Martinez
(Area Code for Rosamond, CA)- 4o6-91o7

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

You got me. Guilty as charged.

Asking $3.14159 Million..... Or best offer.

(If I had been told a price, rest assured I would have posted the price, so as to not violate any important rules)

TFF

Pretty nice looking. Still going to be hard to sell for what’s in it. Sell the engines and any nice avionics and then sell the airframe. The airframe is only going to fit a few personalities. Most of the type are not big donors.

Kyle Boatright

I love Defiants. I wonder how much work remains to make it a flyer? One of the challenges with many nearly finished homebuilts is a lack of documentation so you have to spend a lot of time figuring out what remains to be completed.

Victor Bravo

Brian Martinez was an Air Force Flight Test Engineer at Edwards AFB. He was part of their EAA chapter for many years. So although I have no verified idea what documentation he did have, having met Brian years ago I would bet that he did keep some documentation and I'd bet that the other people in the chapter (also almost all Edwards type people) will be able to fill in some blanks for you. Contact EAA chapter 1000 and ask for either Gary Aldrich, Russ Erb, or Bob Waldmiller. One or all of those three flight test guys will be able to answer most of your questions. I'm guessing it's pretty good workmanship and you would very quickly figure out it's a very well built airframe worthy of completing. EAA Chapter 1000 Home Page

Victor Bravo

Brian built (or owned) a Q-200. If the one you saw in the background happens to be the same one he built and still owned at the time of his passing, it is likely available for sale as well. But I do not know that for a fact.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
I'm guessing it's pretty good workmanship and you would very quickly figure out it's a very well built airframe worthy of completing.
While I have not seen the plane myself, I have it from an extremely good authority whom I trust implicitly (the QC manager at Scaled) who HAS seen the project that it's a beauty, with extremely high quality. I considered picking it up myself. But rejected that, because a) I have no use for a Defiant, no matter how well built, and b) can't afford to run a twin.

The problem is that this is a very niche-ey aircraft - there are very few folks that want/need what the Defiant is. They're good planes, and those that have them love them. But they're big, don't fit in a standard "T" hangar, and have all the costs associated with a twin. You can camp in them, though - the rear seats fold down and two can sleep back there, or you can take a TON of baggage - way more even than the COZY MKIV. And obviously the centerline thrust makes them immune to the standard issues with an engine out in a normal twin. With two O-360's, the performance is pretty decent.