Rutan Catbird

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Rik-, Sep 21, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 23, 2019 #61

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

Anyone think Lucas was a Rutan fan? Star Wars seems to characterize their vehicles off Rutans planes.

2. Sep 23, 2019 #62

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I liked the racer too, and thought it had potential, but I also look at it and see lots of opportunity for interference drag with three closely spaced fuselages.

I watched it fly a bunch of times at Mojave. I remember they were still working out bugs in the engine computer software, and they were pissed when Pond pulled it from their flight testing early in order to take it to Reno. They said that because the computers were not yet correct, Pond was going to stick someone in the plane and get them killed, and that is exactly what happened.

Topaz likes this.
  3. Sep 23, 2019 #63

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Industrial light and magic has a scaled connection doesn't it? I thought I remembered reading about that once upon a time. Melville maybe?

Pond racer with some looser fitting cowls around some GM LS v8s would be sweet ;)

4. Sep 23, 2019 #64

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

ILM used to be about a mile from my office in San Rafael. They moved to the Presidio once Disney purchased them.

The plane was running over 400 mph with twin 3-400 hp V6 engines. Imagine a reliable LS V8 in the thing would be insane.

5. Sep 23, 2019 #65

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Follows the p38 form, and the booms are largely underslung in a low pressure zone behind the cowls (? cooling)

Fuselage pod is largely in the wake of the center section shouldn't be much there...

My (albeit limited) understanding of aero says it's pretty limited for opportunity for interference drag?

6. Sep 23, 2019 #66

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

There was some shortcomings in lubrication etc in Pond Racer.

7. Sep 23, 2019 #67

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

Speedboat100

How about the 780 what Mike has tested ?

8. Sep 23, 2019 #68

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

Are the 780's reliable? Only thing I know of them are they came in the Piper Comanche 400's. I see he made a modified valve cover that holds the cylinders in alignment and it made over 700 hp naturally aspirated??? Seems hard to believe without a turbo it made that kind of power?? I could be wrong there.

9. Sep 23, 2019 #69

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

Those V6's had issues. I believe I read they had the oil tanks remote mounted to aid in the CG of the engines and there were some issues with the G load forces or???

10. Sep 23, 2019 #70

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes. I still have the article. It was commissioned by Popular Mechanics for purposes of the article. They got a small panel of "experts" together, including Rutan, and that was the result. If you read the article, the avionics package is something we still dream about, and can probably have now with augmented-reality goggles.

11. Sep 23, 2019 #71

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

I saw it fly at Reno '92. It participated, a little, but spent most of the time in the pits with at least one cowling off. The engines, with their associated tubing and electronics, completely filled the cowlings. When the cowl came off, the shape of the engine area didn't change - the shape was just made of tubes, wires, and engine parts instead of composites. :eek:

I would've put the cockpit in the left-hand boom, and saved a bunch of interference drag, as you say. But Bob Pond dictated the configuration, and that was that. Interesting airplane. It's a shame that they forced it into racing without really sufficient testing and development.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    bmcj likes this.
  12. Sep 23, 2019 #72

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Well, I guess that we can agree to disagree about the Pond Racer. Too bad that it never got fully developed so that we could find out. I find it difficult to believe that a twin engine and twin propeller configuration could beat a single.

For the past 5 or 6 years, the top Sport class airplanes at Reno would have easily made it to the Unlimited Gold Race.

BJC

13. Sep 23, 2019 #73

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

I'd ditch the fancy FBW... I'm an electronics geek and I'm trusting enough to use a homebuilt autopilot, that's about the limit of my willingness to let a computer kill me :confused:

The twin pusher might not be a terrible homebuilt in a more conventional sense.

Mad MAC likes this.
  14. Sep 23, 2019 #74

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

I actually meant the "flight instrument" display - an augmented-reality overlay laser-projected on the canopy, showing a "highway in the sky", positions of conflicting traffic, etc.. We'd be able to do that with AR goggles these days (and I'm amazed that only the R/C crowd has done it), but for the early '80's when the article was written, the entire concept was amazingly ahead of its time for light-airplane usage.

The overall airplane was a neat design. The staggered seating needs more attention and use, and the centerline buried gear is light and low-drag. I question the usefulness of a canard in the stated primary flight training role for the airplane - you want the student to be able to learn stalls and at least incipient spins (I believe in full spin training, but that's a topic for another thread) - but the Scorpion would've made for a nice cross-country touring airplane. The twin engines enable the overall configuration, but our current rating system means a multi-engine rating is required. That would be hard to justify, commercially.

15. Sep 23, 2019 #75

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

That parts easy... Yeah it's probably the aviation lawsuit / liability world that keeps it away from us. Surprised Garmin hasn't moved that way however.

No different than the modern trainers, many aren't spin rated. No different than the ercoupe really, you do a couple spins in a 150 and move on with training. This is where that hybrid 2 electric motors and a primary hybrid power generator could work nicely. Who knows what FAA/Transport Canada would say about that.

16. Sep 24, 2019 #76

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Oh yes... I noticed... and (more importantly) Garrison noticed... and several other people noticed. Garrison's M2 has a fabulous cooling system I would copy in a heartbeat. Cowl flaps on the up per engine cowl to throttle the air flowing out, directly above the cylinders, and at the very lowest pressure on the forward fuselage. And the inlet at the highest pressure.

17. Sep 24, 2019 #77

TFF

TFF

TFF

The Pond engines were variants of the IMSA Prototype V-6s that Elecromotive was running, and waxing everyone. In car race trim they were good for a race reliable 800 hp. The race cars were pretty unstoppable. 400 hp was loafing for the potential.

Topaz likes this.
  18. Sep 24, 2019 #78

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

Yea. BUT.. a race car is not under constant load and as previously noted heating and oil were the problems.

19. Sep 24, 2019 #79

Rik-

Rik-

Rik-

Everyone keeps saying “M2” but there’s very little info on it. Wiki says it’s a 200 mph long range plane with a 210 hp motor.

What’s everyones fascination with this plane? Where’s the information on it?

20. Sep 24, 2019 #80

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

wsimpso1 likes this.