• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rusty Skeletons in the Closet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwalton

Supporting Member
I bet a lot of us on this forum have some skeletons in the closet. Or perhaps frames on the ceiling in my case. I have two Cassutt fuselages that I bought along the way. One went through Ed Fisher so I know it's a good build, he said so. The other looks good to me but it's rusty. I need to blast it and see where it's at. My shop is nestled into the side of a hill here in Western NC and it's at the bottom of a saddle so I've spent years getting the water to run around the shop instead of through it. Retaining walls and diversion canals etc... Bottom line is I have high humidity and I can almost watch the surface rust start on bare metal.

I did a search here and other places for information on blasting thin wall 4130 and there's some guidance but not a ton. So any suggestions here would be appreciated?

I'll attach a few pictures of the rusty Cassutt frame. I've wire wheeled some spots and even sanded with 400 grit to see how deep it goes. It seems okay?
cassutt.jpgcassutt1.jpgcassutt3.jpg
And here is the other one. Painted luckily.
cassutt4.jpg

Back