runway safety

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

lawrence

greetings all: at uncontroled airports (no control tower) : landing behind another aircraft. (both aircraft are on the runway at same time. both are rolling out) is this legal? does the aim address this? minimum distance between aircraft? thanks in advance for all replys

RacerCFIIDave

Formation takeoffs and landings are legal...as long as both PIC's are aware and agree...

They can even be fun...under the right circumstances..

Oh and BTW...you can even request them at controlled fields...you may or may not be granted that request...but usually will....

Dave

orion

R.I.P.
Personally, I was taught that during normal operations, my wheels should not touch down on the runway until the airplane in front of me has completely cleared the space, either by taxiing off of taking off.

wally

What Orion said.

Something to remember is at non-towered airports, you don't have to say a thing on the radio - even if you have a radio.

Even if he, announces his intentions on CTAF, he may change his mind. So you don't "really" know what the plane ahead is going to do next. He may turn off at the first taxiway, he may do a touch-and-go, or he may do a stop-and-go! Or just stop, period - his engine might quit. All possible and legal without a word to anybody.

The way I think of it, if he is on the runway, it is his until he gets off it.

So next time you are on final and there is a plane landing ahead of you, think about your path if, for some reason he is still on the runway when you arrive. Yoy might need to ease the power in, no need to firewall it, and move over to the more open side of the runway and go around.

Lets be carefull out there!
Wally

skeeter_ca

I know this is alittle different but........ when i was at oshkosk about 15 years ago, the incoming traffic was landing at the beginning of the runway and at the midway point at the same time.

skeeter

skeeter_ca

Yeah, I know. But it was a wonder to see and hear the approaches. Orchestrated so well by these guys in the glass tower.

skeeter

expedition2166

here at KBGE we had a small incursion so to speak we'd just finished a 100hr on an agcat and the pilot just ran out on 27 and preceded to take of as a leer was on final and it was close i mean almost trading paint close long story short we got reamed badly by our airport manager and the pilot got off scott free now i know this Lil story don't mean crap to most but it supports the don't get on the runway till you know its clear theory

in a lighter note i never since have heard a line of profanity like that day on the radio understandably the leer pilot was upset but it does make me wonder who controls the radio use on non controlled airspace bands

RacerCFIIDave

Now...if you were originally asking about an aircraft not associated with you...that would be illegal...as both PIC's would not have agreed to said formation... worse than that...it would be stupid!

If the aircraft are operating as a flight...and everyone involved is aware...and skilled...it can be both legal and safe...

I once led a flight of 4 C172's from Savannah to Donaldson Center SC...(Donaldson has a 300ft wide runway...) we did a formation takeoff at Savannah Regional (tower controlled)...and landed in Echelon Right on that ridiculously wide runway at Donaldson (uncontrolled in those days)...good for giggles... my girlfriend of the day said all 8 main gear tires touched the runway within a fraction of a second of each other...:gig:

Dave

badger

Tooele Utah It's 40 klicks south and west of SLC
That'd been a cool thing to witness! That's have been neat! Get it on camera next time Dave!

jb

Now...if you were originally asking about an aircraft not associated with you...that would be illegal...as both PIC's would not have agreed to said formation... worse than that...it would be stupid!

If the aircraft are operating as a flight...and everyone involved is aware...and skilled...it can be both legal and safe...

I once led a flight of 4 C172's from Savannah to Donaldson Center SC...(Donaldson has a 300ft wide runway...) we did a formation takeoff at Savannah Regional (tower controlled)...and landed in Echelon Right on that ridiculously wide runway at Donaldson (uncontrolled in those days)...good for giggles... my girlfriend of the day said all 8 main gear tires touched the runway within a fraction of a second of each other...:gig:

Dave

RacerCFIIDave

Well...I'm sure if I do it again...my wife will get it on camera...

She doesnt leave the house without it anymore...

Especially since a really high quality digital can fit in one of the little pouches in her purse...

The girl that was with me in the mid '80s when the aforementioned formation landing took place...even if shed had a camera...she woulda missed it...she was awfully cute...but not real bright...

Tis why I didnt marry her...LOL

Dave

badger

Tooele Utah It's 40 klicks south and west of SLC
Dave..

I hear you on the cameras. My daughter has one the same way. It's tiny!! Unbelievebly so.

That gal who was with you.....probably a blonde too huh?! But I understand, believe me. I've known a few of them kind too.....and not all of them blonde!

Later bud..

Badg

Well...I'm sure if I do it again...my wife will get it on camera...

She doesnt leave the house without it anymore...

Especially since a really high quality digital can fit in one of the little pouches in her purse...

The girl that was with me in the mid '80s when the aforementioned formation landing took place...even if shed had a camera...she woulda missed it...she was awfully cute...but not real bright...

Tis why I didnt marry her...LOL

Dave

RacerCFIIDave

Seriously folks...the question should be "Is this sensible?" not..."Is this legal?"

Again...if the original question here is about unassociated aircraft...

orion is absolutely correct... one should never touch down (I say do not get below 50ft) until the aircraft on the runway has cleared it...

But, still...formation flying is a blast...if done properly... and under the right circumstances even formation landings are huge fun... just use good sense...

Yall know....this really should be the replacement for all those FAR's...

Dave's Flying Rules...

DFR 1.1: Use good sense.

DFR 1.2 Refer to DFR 1.1 when others attempt to change your mind.

DFR 2.1 Fly within your own limits.

DFR 2.2 Always question weather forecasts.

DFR 3.1 Always leave an appropriate safety margin.

DFR 3.2 Always have a Plan B...and C...and D...at least.

Wouldnt that be nice...a set of rules you can carry on an index card...instead of a huge book...:ban:

Of course, I think that the whole set of rules for everything in America should fit in a booklet you can carry in your shirt pocket...rather than a whole floor of a huge library...

In Liberty,

Dave

Last edited: