• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Runway Options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC135DELTA

I live in kansas and I am planning on owning a plane (piper cheyenne 400ls). I was looking into buying some land and laying down my own runway. Until I saw the price. It would be several million dollars just to lay down a thin asphalt one that wouldn't last very long due to the fact that winters and summers around here can be quite harsh. So are there any other cheaper options?

Gravel - 400ls only has an 8inch blade clearence and would get lots of chips and nick in the props, in other words the whole runway would be a FOD field.

Dirt - I wouldn't be able to operate after a rain, and it would require constant repacking due to erosion.

Paved - Too expensive

any other options? I remember seeing somthing on the history channel about marson matting being used in the pacific by the B29's. Any more info on this? Did it work well? Is it expensive? what does it look like?

totally open on this one.

thanks,

drew

Back