• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Running CHTs Too Cool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daleandee

I thought there was a thread on this but a search found nothing of substance. With the collective wisdom on this forum I thought I might get a better understanding of the pro and cons of cylinder head temps that are quite cool.

Yes I'm referring to mine on the Corvair. Mike Busch claims that running cylinders too cool can/will cause valve sticking but I haven't had any issue. His article is here:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2020/july/pilot/savvy-maintance-valves
My CHT will be in the 255ºF range in summer and 225ºF in winter and sometimes on a descent in winter will dip to or slightly below 200ºF on a really cold day. After eight years and a bit over 230 hours the engine runs fantastic, burns no oil, and has shown no issue related to low CHTs.

I read somewhere (sometime ago and can't find it now) that Lycoming gave 150ºF as the minimal temperature at which a cylinder is ready to go to work. I've seen others that use 250ºF as a minimum. Seeing as how so many constantly fight high temps I find myself very blessed to have such a "problem." I asked a really knowledgeable Corvair airplane engine builder about this and he asked me what problem I was trying to solve. The Corvair engine in this particular air frame is famous for running exceptionally cool.

I'm certain that the answer to the question depends on the engine and the installation. I know that liquid cooled engines tend to run lower temps than air-cooled engines. So is there a minimum temp? What did you base your number on?

I seriously appreciate any input on this ...

Back