Quantcast

Running a G13BB on a test stand?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

jake2465

I have a G13BB long block that I would like to get running on a test stand and I am wondering what the easiest way to do that would be? I thought about going the stand-alone fuel management system route, but then I figured out that those are generally not plug and play and need a lot of work to actually get an engine to run. What are people normally doing for this sort of thing?

I've got my own machine shop, so I can fab up stuff. It's just the electrical side of things that I am having a time with.

TFF

If you just want to run it, get the stock harness and ecu. If you are developing it, it’s a whole different bag. If you can rig up something to trigger the ignition, you can get a squeeze bottle and squirt fuel in the intake, if you just want it to cough.

jake2465

I would probably have to get all the original supporting equipment to get that stock ECU to run correctly. I only have the long block. My assumption is if I got a carb and a distributor, then I would not have to fool with the mess of wires. I am just wanting to use the engine as a test bench for different propeller designs and geared reduction drives. It's going to stay on the ground.

Last edited:

pictsidhe

If it is going to stay on the ground, get all the stock parts needed to make it run. A scrap car is probably the best way.
For testing redrives, you do want to use the same model engine that you plan to fly with.
You may be able to kludge a dizzy onto the end of a camshaft if you can't find a stock car to cannabilise.
An ad on HBA may turn up someone with too much 'junk'.

cheapracer

Log Member
Suzuki 13BBs that I am aware of, have a 'plug and play' type dizzy, basically 2 wires, one is power and one is to the coil or igniter, look at a wiring diagram.

As mentioned above, just make up a plate and whatever needed to pop a little typical Japanese carby on it.

... and yes, I have done it myself, a few times.

jake2465

That sounds good. I will go to my shop in just a little bit and check out the engine to see what it has going on on its cylinder head. I believe that thing was set up to run wasted spark ignition when it was in a car. When I got it, the owner had GSXR 1000 ITBs on it. Looked like a pretty neat little setup.

I am curious to see if the cylinder head has provisions for a distributor.

I have some carbide involute gear cutting tooling coming in the mail soon. Having that will allow me to cut some gears and play around with different tooth sizes, pitch diameters, metal types, and nitriding processes. Also, I will be interested in finding out about drive couplers and using my O-scope to take data points off of vibration sensors that I can place along parts of the gearbox.

I'll take some pictures of the engine and post them in a few hours.

jake2465

OK, so here is what it has. Looks like where the distributor would have been there is now a cam sensor. I am wondering if the camshaft actually protrudes into that housing that has that sensor on its side. It may be a hall effect sensor with three terminals. Anyway, I am now wondering if I would have to change out the camshaft in order to use a distributor.

Attachments

cheapracer

Log Member
OK, so here is what it has. Looks like where the distributor would have been there is now a cam sensor.
i'll have a look at the one in my shop tomorrow.

The G13s of all models have a big following on the net, try finding the groups with Suzuki Swift, and Samari terms in Google. You might even find someone close to you who can help you out, they would certainly be very interested in trading your ITBs for what you need I would imagine.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
If the G13 is like the the three cylinder G10 you should be able to just swap a distributor in. If you can get a service manual for the older distributor engine you can copy that as long as the end of the cam is the same.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Also watch the tabs on the distributor where they plug into the end of the cam. It only fits one way. Find the geo metro online forum. They might be able to help if you can figure out their website.

jake2465

Tonight I will visit the shop again and see what is going on inside of that sensor cover. I want to say that the camshaft actually protrudes out of the valve cover and into that sensor housing. That's probably why the sensor is side-mounted like it is. I'll find out for sure.

Chris Matheny

HBA Supporter
Jake, i am about 20 minutes from Huber, If i can help in any way let me know. What airframe are you putting this on? I have a CNC mill but it sounds like you also have machining covered.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
You are doing props and PSRU for the G13BB? Cool.

Having the same base engine, rpm range, and flywheel inertia is essential if you are doing resonance checks and durability runs. Induction and ignition only matters in that you need to make at least the same torque over the same rpm range that the flight article will have.

So, are you preparing to build a firewall forward on the G13BB? Are you going to leave us hanging on plans until you have something that begins to pass your tests, or are you going to run you program with us watching?

Bill

jake2465

Jake, i am about 20 minutes from Huber, If i can help in any way let me know. What airframe are you putting this on? I have a CNC mill but it sounds like you also have machining covered.
Chris, that's great to know! My hangar is out at the New Carlisle airport (Andy Barnhardt Memorial). Your welcome to get involved if you like :). I have had this engine sitting around my hangar/shop for the last 5 or 6 years and I have been wanting to get it running.

The mill I have is a CNC knee mill with an integrated 4th axis. Nothing real serious, but it will get the job done :). PM me if your interested in playing around with this project.

As far as the airframe goes, I actually have a helicopter airframe and I don't plan to use the G13BB for it. This is more for geared drive research. So, I suppose the G13 with this custom drive deal can go on whatever. For the time being, I just plan to give it a sturdy test stand and run gearboxes on it so I can take data samples.

Last edited: