• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Running 100LL in your 2 Stroke Full Time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armilite

I have read many different Positive Post like,
"I run 100LL in all my bikes and even the law mower and power washer. It runs great in 2T's and 4T's. If you check out the MSDS on 100LL, it has a lead content, specific gravity and distillation curve similar to VP Red which means it runs slightly Richer than typical pump gas. Usually, (1) Jet Size lower and dropping the needle one position does the trick on 2T's. 4T's are more tolerant of slightly richer jetting and just require a 1/8 turn in on the fuel screw.

There are a lot of wife's tales about 100LL being bad. None of them are true. They were started by race gas companies trying to steer people towards their products and away from 100LL. The funny thing is the early race gas companies that started these rumors were selling Re-branded and Dyed 100LL."

and "I know of (2) Rotax 582's who ran 100LL for 400hrs, then were brought in for an Inspection. Everything looked fine inside, the only difference was the tops of the Pistons were a Yellowish color vs light Tan."

Is anyone running it full time in your Rotax 2 Stroke? If so, what has been your thought's on using it, Good/Bad, beside the Cost. Any difference in GPH?

Since none of the Airports around me in a 150 mile Radius even carry 91, needed for most Rotax's, and only (1) out of 21 Airports even only carry 87 Mo Gas! Blending 87 and 100LlL 50/50 makes around 93 Octane.

Av Gas Locator: http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

If Detonation is 80% of the problem with Rotax's which use High Compression Ratio's, and 100LL solves that, and 100LL having a 5-year shelf life, and Amsoil Saber or Hirth's Blue Max both Full Synthetic Oils, used at either 80/100 Ratio raises your Decarbon Time to over 700+ hrs. It should be a win-win situation! If the Engines Coatings can lower your overall Temps by 20%, seems like a win also.

Back