Rules? Repowering certified aircraft with experimental engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv7charlie

I wouldn't call that 'reference material'. It's random people posting on a forum, with as much (as little) authority as this one. And some of the posts are very much in error, both in understanding the purpose of some of the requirements and their effects on operation of the a/c.

Turd Ferguson

Would you contact first for permission to remove the data tag? Has anyone done this?
Removing and surrendering the dataplate is a relatively recent development. In the past, nobody cared. Years ago I was in a guys workshop where he had dozens of removed dataplates hanging on the wall. Pretty sure he didn't bother getting permission.
However, in 2018 as part of the registry clean up, the FAA wrote a new national policy for destroyed or scrapped aircraft. https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/FAA_Order_8100.19.pdf Apparently, they are trying to prevent destroyed and scrapped aircraft from showing up on the registry in the future. One way to ensure that is by getting the dataplate out of circulation.

I seriously doubt anyone has gotten in trouble for removing a dataplate from a destroyed/scrapped aircraft without permission -- as long as it's not being removed and retained with the intent to sell or attach to a different aircraft.
Nonetheless, if an aircraft registered in my name was destroyed or scrapped, I would notify the FSDO that I am removing and surrendering the dataplate along with the other paperwork. If I found a dataplate in a pile or scrap parts I bought, I would just hang it on the wall in my shop.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Nonetheless, if an aircraft registered in my name was destroyed or scrapped, I would notify the FSDO that I am removing and surrendering the dataplate along with the other paperwork.
But what if the aircraft you own wasn't destroyed or scrapped, can you start to do the modifications and turn in the data plate with the exhibition application when it is finished? Might take 10 years to modify.

Fiberglassworker

I think you can also license your aircraft as experimental flight research and development, then when you have the bugs worked out of it. look at putting it into the restricted category.