Rubber torsion landing gear?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rotax618

It pays to keep an open mind when it comes to design, there is no “best” solution for every problem, I’m sure rubber torsion is a design solution for some design problem.
For many very light airplanes designers go to great lengths to provide suspension travel were none is required, the energy absorption of the inflatable tires (tyres) is sufficient (ie. Minimax etc.), simple is best.

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

Construction would kept simple, just a rounded square tube welded to a mounting plate for the housing and a lever arm welded to a thick-walled square tube for the moving part.
I was instead picturing the full width trailer-style installation across the lowest part of the belly of something like a CH-701 with relatively short trailing arms and big tires. Someone smart could probably engineer those rubber triangles to have a progressive spring rate too.

Blackhawk

Polyurathane comes in different rates of hardness, I used the PU40 Shore 90A which is red.

Details are below;

Hardness
The chart indicates how Lurethane® rates in hardness when compared with other materials. Lurethane® is manufactured in hardness grades from 40 Shore A to 70 Shore D. The grade is identified by these colours:

Standard GradeHardnessColour
PU60A60ALight blue
PU2075AOrange
PU3085AYellow
PU4090ARed
PU5095ABlack
PU7070DDark Blue

1638258595610.png

cluttonfred

Thanks, Graeme, I had forgotten about this example. You said you have also designed main gear using this approach, could you say more about that and what you think are the pros and cons in that application?

Hi Mathew,

There's nothing new about using this type of suspension design; you've seen this type used in aviation before.

You commented on my designed tailwheel back in May 2017

I've also designed the same princlple for main and nose wheel landing gear.