Rubber Discs for Shock Strut

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

challenger_II

I like your work, sir!
As for the Heim bearings at the top end, that is an elegant solution. I have used that method on two previous builds, and loved it. Unfortunately, as-built, my airframe doesn't have the clearance at the strut attach points to accept a Heim bearing.

I preloaded my die spring for the normal flying weight, and for fine adjustment I used a large rod end on the upper end of the shock strut for adjustment of shock strut length.
Same rod I had left over from the 4 seat Bearhawk LG.
Not good pictures , but the rod end is on the upper end of the shock strut above the die spring streamline covering.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I like your work, sir!
As for the Heim bearings at the top end, that is an elegant solution. I have used that method on two previous builds, and loved it. Unfortunately, as-built, my airframe doesn't have the clearance at the strut attach points to accept a Heim bearing.
Darn.

challenger_II

Update: as I have had some SWELL flying weather of late, I have obtained more empirical data on the
new shock assembly: JPS. As in, "Just Plain Sweet"! I am actually enjoying landing the Old Girl these days! :)
Wheel landings, three-point, one-wheel-low (90 degree cross-wind): she just behaves herself.

Last edited: