• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

RPM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know this has been discussed before, there's mention of 3400 for the GP conversion, but maybe the Mosler is different with its long intake manifold: What max rpm should I be targeting for a Mosler 40 (1083cc)? The Mosler specs say 40HP at 3200 rpm (though some say 38HP is more realistic). The manual also lists 3600 as "redline".

On my Fisher 404, with a prop labeled 56x24 (but pitch measured at 27.5" from the back face angle at 80% radius) I get 3000 rpm static, and 3200 rpm at 60 knots. Frank at Performance Propeller says I should be looking for at least 3200 static and 3600 WOT. The builder of my plane tried other props that let the engine rev higher and noted:

For best performance I use the 56x24 prop. There are two spare props, a 55-24 & a 58-24. The 55x24 is a little weak, you could use it in a pinch. The 58-24 is also a little weak. In testing I got 150-200 more rpm with it but less performance so I checked it out and found it's a 58-22 or close to it. Had it been a 24 pitch I believe it would have helped a lot at my 4200 ft elevation, again you could use it in a pinch.
Caution be aware these small 4 cycle engines do not like heavy props. They hurt performance & in some cases the motor. Lightweight wood with a hi aspect ratio is best. The 58-22/24 Peery prop is a good example of what ou need.
Mosler recommends a 54-24 prop. Been there done that. May be OK for an ultralight, but not for this 404, lost 1/2 the climb & 10 MPH cruise.

The 55x24 I measured at 20.7" pitch and the 58x24 that he thought was really 22" I measured at 25.7"

Any thoughts?

Dana

Back