Router table.

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by pictsidhe, Jan 23, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 23, 2019 #1

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I have never had a store bought router table. I have also never been overwhelmed with workshop space. I have therefore used home made table that stores in a small space. My current one is either sat on horses or on 5 gallon buckets. As you can see, no expense was spared building it. The nicest plywood in the offcut pile and new sheetrock screws!!!

20190118_125825.jpg

20190118_125838.jpg

mcrae0104 likes this.
  2. Jan 23, 2019 #2

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I was worried about quality control for aviation use, until I saw the precision green plastic calipers. All is well.

proppastie likes this.
  3. Jan 23, 2019 #3

don january

don january

don january

routor 2.jpg routor 3.jpg My Router end table has fine tuning and I also keep a plastic caliper near by.;)

4. Jan 24, 2019 #4

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

They are far more reliable than my digital ones, which always seem to need a battery. I wasn't doing aviation work, though I am assuming that my house doesn't have any tornado encounters.

5. Jan 24, 2019 #5

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

Not saying anyone here isn't aware, but as a general PSA: If your digital calipers need a battery more than once every few years, they are either explicitly the el-cheapos or they're imposters of the expensive ones that are actually el-cheapos. (or the batteries themselves are knock-offs from some hut in the outskirts of Guangzhou.)

I've been using my dad's Mitutoyo digital calipers for 15 years now, and we've changed the battery maybe 3 times? That's an average of 5 years of life? And it'll also run for months with the low-battery B warning engaged. I don't know that I've ever had it not work, I've just always went out and got a battery before it finally kicked.

AvE has mentioned in a few of his videos that the cheap digital calipers are always on and suckin' juice, whether they look active or not. Proper grade ones sip along for years.

At the same time, you can fit a lot of batteries in the price delta between the Hazard Fraught 6" and a proper Mitutoyo 6", and even throw in a bag full of the plastic verniers for real work. :gig:

Of course you could end up with a bunch of all of it. It becomes an obsession like all the rest. I don't know why I bought a Mitutoyo digital micrometer, for how infrequently I use a mic, when I'm perfectly able to read the barrel on a Brown and Sharpe.

6. Jan 24, 2019 #6

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

In the UK, I mostly used stamped steel verniers for everyday work when the nice analogs weren't justified. Unlike the HF plastics, the scales don't wear off. Plastics are useful when you want to measure up a very rare plane...
    Thanks for the new HF name!
    I haven't got around to getting some good analogs here, yet.

7. Jan 24, 2019 #7

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

C'mon guys, read the literature. Those are calipers are "resin," not "plastic".
    HAs anytone ever checked the accuracy of the electronic HF calipers? I find them to be pretty handy, the markings on vernier calipers are so small (and blurry) these days:). Plus, I'm lazy, and it's handy to jump from Imperial to metric, fractions to decimal units, etc with the touch of a button.
    I saw a review of the HF torque wrenches, and they did okay.

Pops likes this.
  8. Jan 24, 2019 #8

Angusnofangus

Angusnofangus

Angusnofangus

I think the best way to avoid the battery issue is to go with dial calipers. These poor old weak eyes don't do well with Verniers and batteries will go dead just when you need them the most. I've had a dial caliper that came from China for about 25 years, Every year went for calibration. No problems. Plus easy to read.

mcrae0104 likes this.
  9. Jan 24, 2019 #9

TFF

TFF

TFF

Dial. All price points. Easy to read. Neat clockwork. Stuff moves.

Tantrum1, mcrae0104 and Angusnofangus like this.
  10. Jan 27, 2019 #10

rick9mjn

rick9mjn

rick9mjn

router table....note = at one time a ryobi tablesaw was made,by ryobi with a the side leaf with a mount for a router ....i think the model # was 3000 , and sometimes your see one listed on craigs list, and i like the idea so much i made one "out of a old counter top" , for my old craft-man table saw .... good day

11. Jan 27, 2019 #11

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I made a leaf for my router on my old Rockwell tablesaw 25 odd years ago. Both still work.

12. Jan 28, 2019 #12

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

till you drop it....Had my vernier 38 years and never bought a new battery for it.

13. Jan 28, 2019 #13

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I have a Vernier I bought in 1981, still works perfect. Have lots of free coupon harbor freight battery powered ones all over the house and shop too.

14. Jan 28, 2019 #14

don january

don january

don january

caliber33.jpg cliber 3.jpg This little tool comes in real handy with my router among other. And as long as I keep it shut battery never replaced in 18-20 months.:beer:

ScaleBirdsScott likes this.