• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax Ignition problem. Am I a idiot or just having bad luck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Clayton

Sooooo.....

While running my 447 on the ground a month or so ago, it developed a hi speed missfire. So, I went through the usual things like new plugs, check the carb, etc. The problem would come and go. Checked the stator, trigger and coil. Checked okay. Did some crow hops, clean on two...missing on the next two. Doodled around with the ignition again, insulation a bit rotten on the stator, so I pulled it and replaced the wiring. Put it all back together and wouldnt fire at all. The only thing I could figure was a problem in the primary side of the coil (cant check it because of a diode and cap). Hunting around, found a entire ignition and bought it. It came in the other day and to my suprise it "looked" perfect, like it had never even been ran. Installed everything last night, and fired right up. Warmed it it and pulled WOT. After about 15 or 20 seconds....started to miss. So, I started over hunting. Pulled the fuel bowl, looked a little milky. Drained all the fuel in the tank and replaced with new. Checked the float level and pulled the carb apart. Pulled the plugs. None of this mattered, since I fired it back up and went WOT....after about 20 seconds it started miss firing and cut off. No cranking back up this time. Pulled the kill wire loose (nothing else electrical hooked up on engine), no luck....no fire. I have not checked the stator or coil yet with a meter, but..... I am I missing something vital here? Or just having bad luck with used parts?

Back